Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harbor Freight Mill

My next "big boy toy" in miniature cool.gif

This a 4 axis table top CNC - almost a machining center, but no tool changer available yet - I'M WAITING.

The table moves 18" X 10" X 10" on the Z axis, with a very small footprint - around 18" X 24". The computor controlled rotary table is the 4th axis.

You can also order it with an embedded computor. Also available is a touch-probe digitizer with all the software for copying any existing item, and then duplicating it as many times as you want, in whatever material you want.

Comes turn-key with all the software, and modeling capabilities.

Lots of accessories available. Under 5 grand as you see it with the embedded computor installed. Just need to add keyboard and monitor.

img24201520CL.gif

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Kar, you sure sound like a spokes men for Sherline! They are not the best of the best in the world, Like you even said you pay for what you get!

Sherline is ok for a very small parts and such and yes they are made here in the USA. But also if you look into some thing like the Jet or Shop Fox mill/or lathe you can get more you for your money then what you are going to spend on trying to do with the sherline.

Also Sherline does not offer a complete computer with there system so you have to pay for that and hope that he program does not burn up the mother boards of today's computers. 2x or 4x mother boards.

Lets see.. Buy a Sherline Say Lathe $700, You get a MT1 tail stock, Drill chuck and arber and mini drill Chuck addapter ( Drill Chucks do not go down to hold any thing under a #78 drill. So them three things is $90 not counting your drill bits. Tooling for a lathe around $40 for good insert tool bits or $28 for C5. Then if you go to C-N-C controals you have to upgrade it with mother board controals and also Computer nearing another $1400 with out program. Good Program $600.

Shop Fox-- MT2 tail stock with same as above $45 complete. Lathe with Computer and every thing plus quick change tool post $1875 at the door. If you have any trouble call Blue Ridge they are one of the top Dealers around for them also they can get any thing for you and if they do not have it they can fine it for you. Never had any trouble from Blue Ridge.. Oh ya also Shop Fox and Jet does not use Belts for motor driven like a sherline does.

Buy a little bigger then what you want and then you never out grow it. Buy to small and you will wish you pay'ed the money the first time and got what you wanted!

Kar, you sure sound like a spokes men for Sherline! They are not the best of the best in the world, Like you even said you pay for what you get!

Buy what you want. I don't care. The guy wanted some input so I gave it to him. I bought my lathe, mill (8 axis) non CNC used with rotary table and tilting table for $1400. I'm saying if you look, you will find. I never said Sherline was the best. I don't think they are. But for the miniature world, the tolarences and preciseness is hard to beat for the price. I don't care what you buy. I get nothing from your purchase.

David

Edited by Karmodeler2

Cool! A machining flame war!!!

I highly recommend looking for used equipment. I got my Unimat III over 20 years ago and it had everything for about $600. The only thing I didn't get with it was a collet holder and a set of collets. It has the mill attachment which is a mill/drill type of deal without a leadscrew z feed. It came with dividing head, cross feed, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, etc. It has served me really well but the lack of a z feed is really annoying.

I have a leadscrew lathe with an eight position tool turret that I found on Ebay for $500. When I get my new garage done and get the lathe installed I will use it turn production parts for my kits like rims, hubs, etc.

I missed out on a full size Groton mill that my own employer was auctioning. It went for $350.00!!! :o:D Eventually I will get a full size mill. people typically pay a lot for bridgeports but off brand stuff is usually just as good and a lot cheaper. There are auction sites out there that deal with industrial equipment. I would recommend checking them out. They are usually regional.

Dave check out this unit.MAX NC I used a MAXNC a few years ago and it wasn't bad but the thing had aluminum ways! I don't know if they still do that. It was meant for machining wax parts which would be fine for styrene or modeling board but even machining aluminum would wear it out!

Cool! A machining flame war!!!

I highly recommend looking for used equipment. I got my Unimat III over 20 years ago and it had everything for about $600. The only thing I didn't get with it was a collet holder and a set of collets. It has the mill attachment which is a mill/drill type of deal without a leadscrew z feed. It came with dividing head, cross feed, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, etc. It has served me really well but the lack of a z feed is really annoying.

I have a leadscrew lathe with an eight position tool turret that I found on Ebay for $500. When I get my new garage done and get the lathe installed I will use it turn production parts for my kits like rims, hubs, etc.

I missed out on a full size Groton mill that my own employer was auctioning. It went for $350.00!!! :o:D Eventually I will get a full size mill. people typically pay a lot for bridgeports but off brand stuff is usually just as good and a lot cheaper. There are auction sites out there that deal with industrial equipment. I would recommend checking them out. They are usually regional.

Dave check out this unit.MAX NC I used a MAXNC a few years ago and it wasn't bad but the thing had aluminum ways! I don't know if they still do that. It was meant for machining wax parts which would be fine for styrene or modeling board but even machining aluminum would wear it out!

That's what I originally have been looking at, but they are still very pricey. Like I said before, the resale is strong on machines. The last serval Sherlines I was watching have gone for in the neighborhood of $1000 + I really haven't even come across too many other mini or micro machines in the last year or so of looking.

I have looked for an old school Unimat too, without much luck.

I think I am just going to go with this Prestige machine and go from there if needed.

and a 7X12 power feed lathe, which the wife has offered to donate for my B-day coming up.

Edited by CAL

I was watching a few sherlines and unimats on ebay..it seams most of the unimat lathes end up selling for 300-450ish and sherlines..well they're all over.

Plenty of the sherline 4000's I missed out on sold for 225-700+ depending on condition and amount of extras, which is why I just bought a Taig lathe ..made in america also. I saved about 30 bucks buying it unassembled, which saved some cash for extra tooling.

I'll convert it to CNC to do small production truck wheel hoops before summer hits. I can do it for less than 500 bucks using a gecko controller.

I ended up ordering a Seig SX1 mill, and I have confirmed stats via a phone call. All things considered, I think I made a good choice. I a have found a US supplier that stocks every part for it. I found the correct 8m T slot clamp kit, an 480mm table extension, and a ton of other cool stuff for this mill, including draw bars and collets. I have also read 2 dozen different reviews and commentaries and almost all rate it very good. There are also many who have CNC converted this little mill.

I know it's not a Sherline, but wasn't convienced to spend sherline money was the best way to go for a couple .0001 of inch tollerance different. Wear might be another story, but again, I found every replacement part for it, and I suspect it only will get light useage. Some high-grade bearings probably would make all the difference in the world. If I need something else in the future I will revist other machines.

I will probably be getting my lathe in April. Another plus is the Mill and the Lathe tailstock share the MT2.

In any event, I giddy with joy, I am starting to trully feel my workshop is getting complete.

Edited by CAL