Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang GT500

shucky

Hi all, this is my first "on the workbench" thread here on these forums. This project was originally intended as a "quick build" during the '08 season but other "household" duties delayed some of the build up lol ... Anyways, she is coming along nicely and I hope to have the finished build in the "under glass" section very soon. The kit is a Jada GT500, which for the most part I've thoroughly enjoyed building. The body is beautiful and the quality of the plastic is very crisp and sharp. Its somewhat lacking in some details, but can be easily upgraded throughout. I was thinking if I had a GT500, what might she look like? Here is some build up pics of what I came up with. Hope you all enjoy.

Interior coming together. I added photo reduced glow gauges to the dash and just some detail painting.

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

Early mock up. Paint is duplicolor neon blue met. and gun metal met.

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Edited by shucky

The engine received some primer and the valve covers spent some time in the purple pond.

IMG_3085.jpg

The valve covers were shaved flat and new finned aluminum spark plug covers were trimmed.

IMG_3086.jpg

The kit supplied supercharger needed some improvement!

IMG_3092.jpg

And so it begins!

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

New aluminum fuel rails, scalehardware bolts, etc ..

IMG_3130.jpg

Motor coming together

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

Motor pretty ready to install. Coolant hoses remade from polished solder, complete with hose coupling, clamps, and scratched dipstick.

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

Edited by shucky

;) thanks for the kind words guys! I'm really having fun with this build and I really dig the simplicity of the Jada kit. I feel it has just what you need to build a really nice project and you can add as little or as much detail as you'd like. Actually I liked the Jada kits so much I bought a few more of each lol...

More progress comin' up

Edited by shucky

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the fans tonight and mounted them to the radiator. Here is some build up pics and mock up of radiator mounted. Will add some wiring, and coupling/tube for upper radiator connection. Looks like some of the detail is lost when mounted but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. More progress this week.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

Hi fellas, been working this week on sorting out the engine compartment. I reshaped the kit supercharger coolant tank to look like a "drag" version I found online for a real GT500. These feature a fuel cell type cap which allows the tank to be packed with ice. The other smaller coolant tank was remade using styrene square stock. I've also begun working on the intake tube made from styrene rod and the large open element air filter. Lastly there is the finished radiator coupling with clamps. Should be getting these items finished up and installed very shortly. More to come!

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg