Model Cars Magazine Forum

Go Kart Model?

Welcome to the site Lance!!!

Anything can be duplicated, just takes time & good reference material. For your cart, I'd use balsa wood or HDU (high density urethane) to carve the body from. Find a scale driver figure, find or make the other components, and you'll have yourself a cool scale cart!

Sounds easy, huh? :lol:

I'm not artistic at all. I met someone at a world of outlaws race a few years ago that was going to build me one, but I lost his number. I'm looking for someone I could pay to build one.

You don't have to be artistic. You just have to try. Don't worry if it doesn't work out on the first attempt. People who have been scratchbuilding for years still throw away lots of parts that don't work out the first time.

I wouldn't know where to start to build a go kart.

Start with a diecast. There are several on ebay right now in 1/16, 1/18, and 1/24. Make your first scratchbuilding project a conversion rather than a complete car. Just make a body to go over the diecast chassis. For the body, carve a master and vacuum form over it. I would make the master from styrene, but that's my personal choice. Let me know if you want more info, like a tutorial.

Alright. Give me a couple of days. In the meantime, you'll need:

A diecast Go-cart to pull the body off of. I wish you had been online last night. There was a 1/6 scale G.I. Joe go-kart on ebay that went for 10 bucks. Scan ebay often. You'll find another.

Sheet styrene. I'd go with .060" for this first project.

A good stainless steel triangle, either 30/60/90 or 45/90

some fresh x-acto blades

liquid cement. I prefer Weld-On 3 but Tenax and Testors can also be used

Wet/Dry sandpaper, the type used for auto body repair. Go from around 200 grit to 600.

Putty. Get the type used for real cars. I prefer Evercoat-brand glazing putty but Milliput Superfine White might be a better choice for a first project. It is available at hobby shops.

Go to Radio Shack and get a Project Box and a piece of Perf Board that fits it. I believe the measurements are around 6x9.

Edited by LDO

• 1 year later...

These are what I have. They are 1/24 scale Pro X Karts, copyrighted in 2001 by The Original San Francisco Toymakers. I bought 3 or 4 of these at a now defunct department store sometime in the early to mid 2000's. These are the only two I have left in the package, and no, they're not for sale/trade.

It looks like they might be the same series as Jon Cole posted in Post #5.

ProXKarts1.JPGProXKarts2.JPGProXKarts3.JPGProXKarts4.JPG

Edited by SSNJim