Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sign Email to Revell About making Pickups

I am sending an email to Revell and Round2 about making some pickup kits. I have looked around on several different forums and I think there are lots of modelers who would appreciate having some late generation full-size diesel trucks both fleetside and duallies. I have the full details on the Scale Auto forum under the Trucks/Commercial vehicles. It has the same title as this thread. Here is the link http://links.blazertech.com/redirect.asp?http://cs.scaleautomag.com/scacs/forums/t/89650.aspx Post your name on this thread and I will add your name to the list of others. So far there are 35 names and I am looking for about 100.

stewart terrall

Someone said that they could not see the thread so I will give a few details here. This is what I am asking for:

A 3rd or 4rth generation Dodge ram with a Cummins turbodiesel

An 11th or 12th generation F-350 with a Powerstroke diesel

A late model Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD with a Duramax diesel

These pickups as fleetsides or duallies or fleetsides with a dually option would be great.

Another request is that you re-release the high roller kits with a 4x4 and stock option.

I am sending this email to Revell and Round-2 at the end of March so sign up by then.

Edited by stewart

Good luck with your email campaign. However, 100 signatures on an email will not a model truck kit produce. Historically, they have not been good sellers and there is no reason to believe that there is a guaranteed market for one today. Now, if each of you 100 were willing to contribute $25,000 towards tooling, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing of a new model truck kit... :lol:

Good luck with your email campaign. However, 100 signatures on an email will not a model truck kit produce. Historically, they have not been good sellers and there is no reason to believe that there is a guaranteed market for one today. Now, if each of you 100 were willing to contribute $25,000 towards tooling, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing of a new model truck kit... :rolleyes:

I am not sure I agree. The AMT dually kits and the Monogram F-350 dually are always snapped up quickly on ebay and other places. Besides, there has never, to my knowledge, been a diesel pickup to date. If there has been, it is an old and rare kit. I frequently see people looking for these kind of trucks to pull smaller trailers. And who can't use a full-size truck for something. I think they would be very popular, especially a late-model dually. :)

Stewart, I actually agree with what you just said . Problem is , what was mentioned as per return on the investment is also true . Sorry while I may want Panel Deliveries and Parcel Deliveries and Medium Duties , aint gonna happen ! Common , they just don't possess the " Flava " of a Dork , uh Donk or a 57 Bel Air.... Ed Shaver

...Besides, there has never, to my knowledge, been a diesel pickup to date...

There's a reason for that. This is basically another "I think you should make a new model of the 1974 Oldsmobile Delta 88 because I drove one to high school and I would build the heck out of it" thread.

I'd build the heck out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.

3291462759_debda7db09.jpg?v=1235019605

I am not sure I agree. The AMT dually kits and the Monogram F-350 dually are always snapped up quickly on ebay and other places. Besides, there has never, to my knowledge, been a diesel pickup to date. If there has been, it is an old and rare kit. I frequently see people looking for these kind of trucks to pull smaller trailers. And who can't use a full-size truck for something. I think they would be very popular, especially a late-model dually. :)

Industry insiders will tell you that Ebay is not a good indicator of future kit sales.

You can all go ahead with your petition, or whatever it is, but here's the real deal:

Model manufacturers do their own market research and they produce kits based on what their own research tells them will have a reasonable chance of success. They know the market better than you do... because it's what they do for a living!

Sending a model manufacturer a petition with a couple hundred signatures might make you feel better, but it isn't going to have any effect whatsoever on what they produce. Sorry to burst your bubble, but "them's the facts"...

I'm in, Jared Roach.

I agree that we need the trucks, and people say they won't sell well, I think differently. Alot of people would love to have a kit of there own truck(I know I would). I find at my hobby store the late model trucks fly off the shelves, it sucks for me but it brings hope. Some person that has never modeled before could be like "look! There's a model of my truck!" then that person will buy it and there for more sales. I would love to see any kind of truck, other then the common classic ones that get old after a while.

Also there is no harm in trying. Good idea.

I'm not sure where this notion that the model manufacturers (Revell in particular) is snubbing pickup truck enthusiasts, but, from where I sit, it simply couldn't be more erroneous.

Um, guys? Have you noticed that Revell has a kit series called "Trucks?"

Still not convinced? Let's a take a closer look at Revell's recent track (truck?) record with regard to pickups, shall we?

*The fantastic '37 Ford pickup has just been reissued with a fistful of very well-done new street rod goodies.

*The excellent '65 Chevy stepside pickup was reissued just a couple of months ago.

*The outstanding '41 Chevy pickup was returned to the market a couple of years ago and remains in Revell's catalog.

*Ditto for the custom Chevy Silverado and the Ford F-150 Lightning.

*Double-ditto for the '50 Ford F-150.

*The F-350 duallie mentioned in this thread is scheduled for reissue in a couple of months.

By my count, that's a half-dozen state-of-the-art, recently-tooled pickup kits currently available from one manufacturer, and one more on the way.

If you're talking kits of new pickups, chances are you're not going to see those because, as I have mentioned on her numerous times, the last time Revell tried that, it got burned by poor sales.

But good luck with your petition!

I am not saying that revell is snubbing the truck builders. However, there are many who would like to see some good, modern diesel trucks. Maybe it won't work and Revell will just bury the email but it is worth a try. By the way, I think the reissue of the Ford F-350 dually is actually an F-250 and not a dually. Maybe I'm wrong? Thank you all for your input and "encouragement" :):)

Well maybe this will die and painful and instant death as soon as I send it but at least we can try. If it doesn't do anything I can just keep buying AMT snap duallys and kitbashing them. Anyway thank you all for your input and encouragement. :):)

while i wouldn't mind too much seeing a new Ford F series pick-up kit or maybe even a Dodge i think as well that it's just not going to happen ;) petitions, mass emails, riots, whatever, Revell knows the market better then anyone on this forum regardless of what you think. the demand for new or newer style truck kit's just isn't there, at least for them to even consider tooling up something all new.

the re-issues or modified re-issues are all we are going to see. why is Revell re-issueing the F250 kit soon? because there is enough of a demand for that kit for it to make a comeback and be a halfway decent seller. the F350 duallie kit was just re-issued in the past few years or so if i remember right.

if you want Revell or anyone else(is there anyone else)to consider tooling up an all new truck kit of some sort then the best thing you can do is to buy the re-issues and show them that there is potentially a market for future truck kits. if the re-issues don't sell well, then the chance of something new coming is pretty much out the door completely.

my opinion on this deal too? there is more of a potential demand for older model truck kits then there is for newer models. late 50's and early 60's Fords anyone? how about some 50's or 60's Dodge's? Revell want to stretch the '50 Ford F-1 tooling a bit more? how about a Marmon-Harrington 4x4 option for that kit with some period correct tires and wheels? throw in the tires and wheels from the Tomb Raider Jeep diecast kit for a little more interest from the 4x4 and off road builders. heck you could even make that conversion in the kit use metal axles and it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and i hate metal axles.

Dave

Another neat option for the '50 Ford would be a Ranger, Ford's limited production answer to the Chevy Suburban and Dodge Carryall.

I'm not sure where this notion that the model manufacturers (Revell in particular) is snubbing pickup truck enthusiasts, but, from where I sit, it simply couldn't be more erroneous.

Um, guys? Have you noticed that Revell has a kit series called "Trucks?"

Still not convinced? Let's a take a closer look at Revell's recent track (truck?) record with regard to pickups, shall we?

*The fantastic '37 Ford pickup has just been reissued with a fistful of very well-done new street rod goodies.

*The excellent '65 Chevy stepside pickup was reissued just a couple of months ago.

*The outstanding '41 Chevy pickup was returned to the market a couple of years ago and remains in Revell's catalog.

*Ditto for the custom Chevy Silverado and the Ford F-150 Lightning.

*Double-ditto for the '50 Ford F-150.

*The F-350 duallie mentioned in this thread is scheduled for reissue in a couple of months.

By my count, that's a half-dozen state-of-the-art, recently-tooled pickup kits currently available from one manufacturer, and one more on the way.

If you're talking kits of new pickups, chances are you're not going to see those because, as I have mentioned on her numerous times, the last time Revell tried that, it got burned by poor sales.

But good luck with your petition!

Not to mention the old Monogram '55 Ford was re-released, the F-250 truck is coming back in March. The Cyclone S10 will be back out in April (not sure why, but Revell must know something we don't)

Not to mention the old Monogram '55 Ford was re-released, the F-250 truck is coming back in March. The Cyclone S10 will be back out in April (not sure why, but Revell must know something we don't)

Yeah, it's called market research. They do it. It's in their own best interest to have a feel for what subject matter would sell well enough not only to recover their initial investment, but well enough to also make a profit. They don't just invest thousands of dollars into random subjects and then put them on the market and hope they'll sell... they manufacturer kits that they believe will sell well, based on their research and business experience/knowledge of their market.

Individual modelers who want a kit of this truck or that truck to be manufactured are not using market research, they're using their sense of "this is what I want and I know it will sell because all my friends want it too."

But the business world doesn't work that way. No kit manufacturer is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars based on a handful of people promising that they'd buy the kit if it was produced.

That is true Harry, which is why if they don't believe it would be in their best interests to tool new kits, they should sell some more of the older kits (and perhaps tinker with the tooling for some of them), since there were so many cool kits that are now hard to find. Perhaps (and I know this was mentioned elsewhere before) they should have polls on their webpages asking consumers what kits they would like to see being sold.

Edited by YJIslander

Perhaps (and I know this was mentioned elsewhere before) they should have polls on their webpages asking consumers what kits they would like to see being sold.

I think that would be a fantastic idea. They could collect data directly from their customers, and adding a poll page to their websites would cost almost nothing. In fact, I emailed a couple of the kit manufacturers with that exact suggestion about a year ago.

Never got an answer.