Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monograms Ice T

Jason Vandergriff

I picked up 2 of these in Birmingham a few weeks ago with the intentions of building a cool vintage show rod. Well once I got them apart it was obvious they needed alot of missing parts and lots where destroyed by glue. Never fear its only plastic. I cut the back half of the body off the body that broke during disassembly. I added it to the body that was in better shape. Removed the rear fender flairs and saved them for reattachment purposes. I need to add some sheet stock to fill in the quarters and create the rear filler panel. Neither frame is salvagable but Both compbined will make a good pattern. Ill be tackling the rest of the roof work then on to the frame. Really want to see this one done fairly quick as I think its different enough to stand out. Here is a few pics of current progress and you can see one of dads on my bench as I need to finish opening the doors.

icetdelivery001.jpg

icetdelivery005.jpg

icetdelivery004.jpg

Personal opinion alert: this is looking killer, and you have several routes readily available to you. I can see a slight pie-sectioning of the roof area to bring the front down while leaving the rear at its current height (lending a leaning-forward-ready-to-strike look to the roofline). Also, if you are going to add a rear fender to it, maybe bring them to a low point at the front (kind-of following the current shape of the fill) and terminate them in 'pod-ends' that would house 64 Galaxie taillights (or jet engine exhaust nozzles!!). The wheels, while horrible looking on the WagonRod) look good on this build.....and I think the first pic with the white body fill added to the Orange body would make a killer template for the paint on this 'ShowRod'. Shoot it in a sexy Orange Pearl (like Nissans Mint Tangerine Pearl they had on the 350Z), and add some Pearl White to the rear fender area, along with some 'Ice Cream Cone' graphics to the body sides (also in white pearl for the ice cream itself).

Edited by whale392

Personal opinion alert: this is looking killer, and you have several routes readily available to you. I can see a slight pie-sectioning of the roof area to bring the front down while leaving the rear at its current height (lending a leaning-forward-ready-to-strike look to the roofline). Also, if you are going to add a rear fender to it, maybe bring them to a low point at the front (kind-of following the current shape of the fill) and terminate them in 'pod-ends' that would house 64 Galaxie taillights (or jet engine exhaust nozzles!!). The wheels, while horrible looking on the WagonRod) look good on this build.....and I think the first pic with the white body fill added to the Orange body would make a killer template for the paint on this 'ShowRod'. Shoot it in a sexy Orange Pearl (like Nissans Mint Tangerine Pearl they had on the 350Z), and add some Pearl White to the rear fender area, along with some 'Ice Cream Cone' graphics to the body sides (also in white pearl for the ice cream itself).

Thanks for the ideas and Im still not concrete on anything on this project. I am looking for a set of prowler wheels and tires as I have 1 rear but the chrome is fubar. I have a set of vette taillights waiting for the rear while the front has them in the hood I think they are calling for a bit more. I have been debating the pie section of the roof but just a little not much at all. As for color im still undecided on it going through the paint bin today and see what we have a pearl orange would look good. Stay tuned more coming tonight hopefully I will have the rear end done tonight.

Did some more body work and got my floor pan built. sheet stock was used for the area behind the kick up. Tail lights are my new problem area. Have a set of Enzo Ferarri lenses left over from another project just building some housings for them and mounting them. Got the sides done and the rear fenders reattached. Body work thats left is front valence head lights tailgate and rear window. Im outta ideas for a motor but Was thinking something fuel injected but am open for ideas.

icetdelivery008.jpgicetdelivery009.jpgicetdelivery010.jpgicetdelivery011.jpg

Edited by Jason Vandergriff

Got some of the interior work done. Floor pan started as a shelby series one piece narrowed mounted to a flat sheet bottom I had trimmed earlier. Seats will be from the Revell 26 ford t sedan delivery. Motor is still not finalized as I cant decide on what i want to power it. 4.3 v6? 5.0 fi from the 32 speedwagon? TPi 350 from the revell 91 firebird? I also have a aries hemi done up with the tpi 502 induction and front components need to get a good pic of it. Here are a few pics of the interior work as of now.

icetdelivery019.jpg

icetdelivery020.jpg

icetdelivery021.jpg

icetdelivery022.jpg

Did a test fit of the Areies Chevy Hemi with Ross Gibson injection. The air filter sits about halfway into the head area. The motor was for a revell 57 Chevy from the 70s I had going. All the headers were built already from solder. Engine will recieve full wiring and plumbing. Once I get the rear suspension figured out I can open the center of the floor pan up and build the drive shaft and box in the top side. Also got a shot with the seats in place. Also found some inspiration for the paint work.

icetdelivery023.jpg

icetdelivery024.jpg

pink_floyd_-_dark_side_of_the_moon.jpg

Sweeeeeeeeet looking Engine.

Interior is really coming along Great.

Nice Extensions on the rear fenders

The paint work is gonna be Smokin :lol:

Now I Wish I had two of those kits :lol:

Cool work..

I still have the front of the body i didnt use what to do with it is now the question. Dash work will come on the next off day or maybe even tomorrow night depending on what I work Monday.

• 1 year later...

This one got finished. It has all poseable steering including the steering wheel. All scratchbuilt front struts, control arms and rack and pinion. Motor is a resin aries hemi i got in trade with a Ross Gibson intake on it. Valve covers are scratch built from various sheet and strip stock. Interior is all wood and fabric done with a light coat of grey. Seats from the 26 ford sedan delivery. Fully functioning tail gate. Machined aluminum specialties supplied the wheels and rotors.

377913_319288354753127_100000158944922_1507908_1690419280_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...