Model Cars Magazine Forum

PE one more time

Sorry for this post as I know u are getting sick of me. Well the time has come (And I'm going blind) to paint the Photo etched parts. The only colors I need are black red & white. What I would like to ask is CAN I USE WATER BASE ACRILIC PAINT? & for the black THE DETAILER? I guess it's ready to use washes I use it for grills!. The only reason I ask about these products is it seems to me if I get it on the CHEVROLET on the PE part or the rim around it, it would be easy to just scrape off. I also have artist pens that you use for cartoon drawing they are very fine tip but not sure they would work I would love if the would. Anyway can anyone tell me if any of these would workI don't think I'm going to polish them as I tried with the first set & they went flying,

Thank you

Will,

You can use any type of paint, but the Detailer is a wash, not a black paint.

Thank you for getting back to me so soon.

I'm going to try to get to the hobby store today so if I can use those water based paints I would feel more comfertable I just needed to know if they would work on the PE parts.

Thank you!

It's always good to use a self-etching primer on your P/E parts before painting, this way, the paint will stick better if deciding on water based or any other type of paint. Make sure to scuff your P/E parts before priming them, this will give the part a bit of tooth for the primer to work best, use something like a 3200 grit sanding cloth or something similar.

I did this grill for a '57 Chevy several years ago. I painted mine with Testor's gold enamel.

57Chevyproject008.jpg

57Chevyproject013.jpg

57Chevyproject006.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

57Chevy041.jpg

Tamiya primer sticks well to PE. You can use any kind of paint over it.

PE will polish up beautifully with silver polish or Tamiya Fine compound. To hold a piece - or a set - for polishing, I set it on carpet tape.

The risk of polishing is that if you put a kink in it, it's really hard to make it flat again. To avoid bending it, sometimes I use my finger as a polishing cloth.

Edited by Ddms

• 3 months later...