Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was involved in an auto accident

Common Dude, an 18 wheeler doing over 100 :lol:

Oh yeah, I have been in an GMC 9000? cabover past 100 with a full load of chocolate from NY.

Wasn't a pretty truck but it sure did get a moving.

Although that guy was all there.

He had some DL problems log book problems suspended from the company and was supposed to return the truck. He also has someone else broken trailer, which he dumped off in a truck stop, picked up an unauthorized load and headed out. He kind of played independant with another companies truck for a few weeks before he got another gig, somehow, with another company. Nicer newer trucks but the really put the clamps on with a governor and pre calc all the routes. It wasn't as much fun anymore.

Edited by CAL

The way Mustang described it, he pulled in front of the truck, so first, both were moving. Mustang said the rear corner of his car was hit, so I would say Mustang almost had the truck cleared, especially with only $200 damage to the truck. I would probably say it was a glancing blow, so Mustang was probably still moving forward after being hit, and may have gotten spun at least at a 90 degree angle, if not did a 180 or 360, but would have at least been pushed clear of the rest of the tractor trailer. If he wasn't moving, he would either not be here to post anymore or would have been in the hospital for a LONG time. I once had a accident on a two lane state highway where a Chevy S10 was pulling out of a car lot (the poor guy was test driving it!) going the oppisite way (I was travelling south, he was going north) and a Jeep Wrangler rear ended the S10. I was travelling the posted speed of 55 MPH, the S10 was getting up to speed, was probably 30 to 35 MPH at the time, and the Jeep (the driver was not paying attention) was probably going 55 to 65 MPH when he rear ended the S10, and when the S10 was hit, it was sent at about a 30 degree angle straight into the tandem axles of my trailer. Luckily the S10 did not go under the trailer, they would be dead if they did, and I would have probably rolled the truck on its side. The S10 did hit my outer tire on the first trailer axle (that's what saved us all) then bouced off the rear axle's outer tire, flattening both outer tires, then the hood caught my trailer's rear bumper, which ripped the hood off the S10 and threw the hood in the ditch. The very scary part for me, though, was, other than being my first accident in a tractor trailer in almost 8 years of driving (at the time it happened about 5 years ago), I did not even feel the S10 hit me and did not know until I see the outer front tire falling half way off the rim! The moral of the story, if you have an accident with a tractor trailer, especially at highway speeds, you're either going to be lucky, seriously hurt, or DEAD!!!

By the way, everyone that was involved in the accident I was in walked away with only very minor injuries!

I have seen some pictures in an Ohio recovery yard of a woman that pulled out in front of a big rig going 70 and she was ground down on the pavement for 260 feet all that was left was a leg.

I don't remember the road but it was said to be one of the most dangerous in the states.

Oh yeah, I have been in an GMC 9000? cabover past 100 with a full load of chocolate from NY.

Wasn't a pretty truck but it sure did get a moving.

Although that guy was all there.

He had some DL problems log book problems suspended from the company and was supposed to return the truck. He also has someone else broken trailer, which he dumped off in a truck stop, picked up an unauthorized load and headed out. He kind of played independant with another companies truck for a few weeks before he got another gig, somehow, with another company. Nicer newer trucks but the really put the clamps on with a governor and pre calc all the routes. It wasn't as much fun anymore.

Interstate trucking isn't supposed to be conducted for "fun" by guys doing 100 in a semi on public highways. A guy who thinks that's a good way to have his "fun" would be better off in his basement playing video games, not endangering others on public roads.

Sorry to rant, but in all my years of driving I've been involved in a few accidents, one of which totaled my car. In EVERY case, the other driver was at fault, and I was the "victim." I don't have much tolerance for yahoos behind the wheel having "fun" at my expense.

It sounds like you almost got away!

My uncle Kelly is a Driver and has been for over 15 years, He's only ever had one "Real" accident, the others were people backing into his parked truck and small things of that nature, but the accident happened a few years ago, an exact number I'm not sure of, but anywere from 2 years ago to 5 years ago,

He was in Alberta, a guy saw him coming, pulled out anyway right in front of him, as soon as he saw the guy wasn't going to wait he laid into the brakes, he ended of hitting the guy square in the drivers door and, his Car ended up being hit so hard that it not only crushed the side of the car but pushed it 10 feet from where Kelly's truck stopped. The guy got away with a few broken bones, he later tried blamming it on my Uncle and suing his company, it made it to court but after the survailance camera's from the shopping center's parking lot was reviewed it showed it just like my uncle told it.

Usually when you "pull out" in front of another vehicle, YOU get saddled with the blame. A very similar situation happened to me, and even though the driver of the other car that hit mine was driving outside his lane of travel, it was my fault.

It all comes down to the word YIELD.

He said "I was pulling out and got slammed by a Hyndai Sonnata doing about 50+"

No venom here, Just an observation, from experance. And if you took the time to read my post you would see I said "I hope not".

I did read your post, and the other guys too, all I was saying, no venom here as well, just a observation, was thet the op didnt give enough info to draw a conclusion on fault. Saying I pulled out isnt the same as saying I pulled out in front of the other car.

I did read your post, and the other guys too, all I was saying, no venom here as well, just a observation, was thet the op didnt give enough info to draw a conclusion on fault. Saying I pulled out isnt the same as saying I pulled out in front of the other car.

Its Cool Bro, just a misunderstanding. My claws have been retracted :lol:

Here is a link to the SCTA site with the numbers for Diesel trucks at Bonneville, very interesting.

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/BNIrecs_cat_f.htm

Well Saturday I was heading out to a buddy froms works house I was pulling out and got slammed by a Hyndai Sonnata doing about 50+. I was fortunate they hit me in front of the wheels instead of behind them. It relocated the left frame rail to the right over `8 inches shrunk the cent of the k member over an inch. The motor was moved 2 inches to right as well destrroying all the mounts. I have started disassembling the blazer so I can put my other truck together over the next few weeks. I am fortunate to have another body to transplant the drive train into but gonna take a few weeks as Im recovering from the accident and the ensuing motor crushing I suffered on Monday. I am sore and bruised all over but otherwise ok. I have not missed an hour of work yet either and that is good. Pics of the damage and the truck thats going together. Ill be taking a break from the bench until I get something going to drive.

Man, sorry you are going through this, but you are indeed blessed. It wasn't your time. You were protected for a reason.

He's got more models to build. :lol:

Yes I do. About 100 more. The car that hit me fared a whole lot better than mine. The motor was relocated 2 inches over to the right as well. ill have another tuesday if everything goes well. Ive got a bucnh of gaming stuff im getting rid of including a ps3 nes atari 2600 and some broken xbox 360's. Gotta round up some money. Other truck is getting its engine saturday if all goes well. Then install all new wiring and interior and a fuel tank swap as well.

Jason, I am so glad that you are still here and able to feel some soreness, the alternative is not good! I have been in my fair share of accidents. 2 minor ones were my fault, but the 2 biggest ones were not. The day after Thanksgiving, in 2002, a young guy in a BMW didn't want to wait for me to go past him, so he made a left turn in front of me, we hit almost head-on. I had just bought this Honda Accord 4 weeks prior, and it was totaled.

My chin touched my chest, and my glasses went flying. When I realized what happened, I was so p*&%$#@, that I would have throttled the guy, if my neck didn't hurt so much. My wife was reading and didn't see it coming. When I hit the BMW, it went over the curb and into the corner of a house. San Jose, Ca. had 992,000 population at the time. The ambulance took 45 minutes to show-up, so the fire department had us strapped down to the boards, in the middle of the intersection, the sun had gone down, we were both shivering from the cold, and every doggone neighbor was standing around the intersection laughing and joking and oogling. Lousy situation. The great news was, no broken bones, but 2 cases of severe whiplash and bruises from the seatbelts.

BTW, I paid $2,000 for the Honda, the other guys insurance paid me $5,350 for the car. I will say this, the Honda held together great. Far better than when I rolled my Chevy 4x4 on the street in a rain-storm..........

Jason, take care, and I hope you get back to normal soon!

Wow sounds like you have had some interesting stuff happen. I will be installing a 5 point harness in the vert cause the belt didnt lock when I got hit. I used to drive race cars and took some hard hits and that one was the meanest hit of them all. All in all I had $1750 in the blazer not getting anything out of it from insurance company but I get motor trans rear end and brake parts plus some interior goods for another one. Total loss is gonna be about $600 but I got 3 years out of it 2 of which it had a v8.

Would anybody follow along to a build of the other truck? Ill keep a thread up on a few forums with it if I got some support.

18-wheelers can't do 100, they all have governors to limit their speed.

A guy here in my town was given a ticket in his 18 wheeler doing 110 MPH. I had a friend that had a heart attck in his Peterbilt and they said it was doing 95 MPH when it hit an overpass embankment. they figured he was doing well over 110 when he locked the brakes in it

Thats good to hear that you found a new blazer, hopefully you'll get it. :lol:

I love the s-series trucks, so sure post up a wip thread of the other truck, i'll be watching the whole time. ;)

BTW are you a member on the s10 forum? Just wondering.

Didn't care much for s-10 forum. To much drama there for me. I hang out on v8s10.org mostly even blazinlow as well. Ill start keeping pics up this week as I work on it.

Good to hear ya ok Wrecks are weird Animals Was Doin 20mph and did this to my Daytona by hitting a Tempo

3711cf39.jpg

mashed everything over shoved the Alternator into the radiator after the structure busted it from the Engine Yet I hit a Guardrail in my Mustang Doing way more than 20 ( bein stoopid ) and only did Cosmetic Damage to the car

1dddba35.jpg

Did not even hurt the intake tube behind the fender

0af49755.jpg

These pics were obviously taken after Ford Skinned the nose to check the structure

It is weird what can happen in a wreck things move in ways that make ya go Huh ??