Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show Us Your Vintage Glue Museum

Since plastic cement is an essential cornerstone of our hobby, I find it deserves a well earned place in model kit history. Hence I started my Vintage Glue Museum a while ago.

It is in a vintage German cigar box:

pic001.jpg

Over three decades of plastic welding history:

pic002.jpg

Mint, boxed:

pic003.jpg

The Far Eastern habit of supplying cement with the kits produced some nice collectables:

pic004.jpg

The world of plastic cement peacefully united:

pic005.jpg

Older modellers, like me, may well remember the obligatory question 'do you need some glue for those?' when piling a stack of kits onto the check out counter of a model shop. Plastic cement has been with us for the better part of our life. We went through the biggest disasters, devastating divorces and even more severe fates, but plastic cement was always with us. May we never run out of it.

Edited by Junkman

I never thought of a glue collection, it sounds kind of dumb at first but I have to admit it is kind of fun seeing the old stuff. I see you are strictly a tube glue guy though, no liquid cement?

You really need a sample of the horrid blue tube Testors non-toxic glue. It has a pleasant citrus smell, but doesn't work so good. Still it is an important stage in glue history even if it is a what not to do moment. :)

I never thought of a glue collection, it sounds kind of dumb at first but I have to admit it is kind of fun seeing the old stuff.

I see you are strictly a tube glue guy though, no liquid cement?

You really need a sample of the horrid blue tube Testors non-toxic glue. It has a pleasant citrus smell, but doesn't work so good. Still it is an important stage in glue history even if it is a what not to do moment. B)

Initially I did this very tongue in cheek. But then the collection grew without me really noticing it. Then I found out that I am not the only one. It is still very tongue in cheek though and I'm actually quite surprised how many people seem to take it seriously. Raised eyebrow anyone?

I hardly ever use tube glue, hence my museum only contains tube glues. No liquid cement is ever left over to be put into my glue museum.

Like anything else, if it is supposed to be good, even plastic cement must be really poisonous.

Edited by Junkman

Initially I did this very tongue in cheek. But then the collection grew without me really noticing it. Then I found out that I am not the only one. It is still very tongue in cheek though and I'm actually quite surprised how many people seem to take it seriously. Raised eyebrow anyone?

I hardly ever use tube glue, hence my museum only contains tube glues. No liquid cement is ever left over to be put into my glue museum.

Like anything else, if it is supposed to be good, even plastic cement must be really poisonous.

I fully understand the unintentional collections. I have quite the empty sprue collection going, I feel like I should find a use for the sprue so I just throw it all in a box instead of the trash. :lol:

• 4 months later...

I fully understand the unintentional collections. I have quite the empty sprue collection going, I feel like I should find a use for the sprue so I just throw it all in a box instead of the trash. :wub:

I dissolve old sprue pieces in cellulose thinners or aceton. The result is a superb putty and gap filler.

wasn't there a tube that had a triangle shaped piece that you had to twist off. and who could forget the tubes that you had to puncture with a pin .never forget squeezing the tube too hard while trying to open it and getting glue everywhere. i was a dumb kid. really thought i would grow out of that. RALPH