Model Cars Magazine Forum

What soap to use before spraying?

Hi Guy's, I'm finally getting some much needed modeling time in, (The Wife and kids are gone for a week!!), and I just finished prepping my next project for paint. I went to final wash the thing and found we only have anti-bacterial dish soap with aloe!! :shock: I hate to just try it and see if it works, Can I use this or do I have to just break down and go buy some regular dish soap?? :?

Thanks,

Rick

I'd be a little worried about the aloe leaving a film behind on the plastic. To be on the safe side.......you might want to pick up some Soft Scrub and a cheap toothbrush to thoroughly clean the model before painting.

The Soft Scrub will "rough up" the plastic somewhat so the paint has something to "bite" into. It also gets rid of any mold release.

However, I like to go over the plastic with 600 grit sandpaper just the same.

Nothing's more irritating than to get a fisheye in your paint because of some oil (or other such thing) left behind! :shock:

Hi Guy's, I'm finally getting some much needed modeling time in, (The Wife and kids are gone for a week!!), and I just finished prepping my next project for paint. I went to final wash the thing and found we only have anti-bacterial dish soap with aloe!! :shock: I hate to just try it and see if it works, Can I use this or do I have to just break down and go buy some regular dish soap?? :?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

I have used nothing but Dial bar soap and a toothbrush for washing down model bodies for years, like forever.

Trouble with many dishwashing liquids is that they contain silicones (Cleans right down to the shine, remember?) which is the mortal enemy of paint jobs.

I simply scrub the model body this way, under running water, then blow the body shell dry with my compressor.

Biscuitbuilder

That's what I was afraid of, the aloe being kind of an oil and leaving fish-eyes in the paint. Thank you for your suggestions, I never thought about either of those products. I'll run out and get those this afternoon!!

Thanks Again,

Rick

I use regular Dawn dishwashing soap... the blue kind. It seems to work great for me, leaves no residue and I believe Dawn has a degreaser in it. I have yet to have a problem after using it :wink:

Bingo, Dawn is probably the best way to go. Almost every body shop uses dawn in the water they wetsand cars with. I've never heard of silicones in the soap but, dawn most definitely doesn't have any.

I just fill the sink of with warm water, mix in a bunch of dawn, dunk in the pieces and let them soak for a minute before I go to town on them with a toothbrush. Then I hit the body and chassis with 800 wetordry.

Oh did I mention I paint cars for a living? lol

Hi, Thanks again for those suggestions, I had been using the Dawn dish soap for years and had only one problem with it in all that time. I had been away from modeling for a few months, and in that time we must have used the last of it and replaced it with this "other" stuff. I used Biscuitbuilder's suggestion on this project and now have probably the best "straight out of the can" paint job I have ever done!! :lol: I'll post some pic's soon......

Thanks Again!!

Rick