Model Cars Magazine Forum

vw type 1 pick up project start

empinut

3c13cd92de4e2f6d87e19e79e5891f-vi.jpg

Picturemay302010001-vi.jpg

I spent some time running through all the early 30's-40's-50's panel trucks to see which would have the best rear corner panels. as it ended up, the 37 ford panel by Revell just needed a little massaging. The biggest issue was where to cut the Beetle body. You can see my 1st choice, leaving in the beetle behind door quarter panels, which ended up being a lucky 1st guess to avoid extra body work.

More projects to come as I am working on a few projects at once.

Bill

yeah thats pretty slick. what are you going to do for a motor? seems a type 3 pancake motor would be a great choice but not sure you would be able to see any of it unless you cut an access panel into the pickup bed floor. looks great, should be an interesting build!

looks like your off to a good start

ive had one of these on/under my workbench for the better part of a year now

started with a stock beetle, cut the rear end much like yours and scratched everything else

flipped the front end

changed the drive train to a front engine rear wheel drive with a custom turbo'd GTI engine and a supra rear end

IMG00133-20090830-1319.jpg

IMG00143-20090907-2243.jpg

IMG00017-20091122-1807.jpg

I don't know if you would want to go with this engine choice or not, but there used to be a nice VW running around my hometown with a blown Chevy smallblock in front. It was neat seeing a hood scoop on the front of a Beetle!

thanks guys.

definitely a pancake...although the 48ida's may be poking through the bed :lol:

I have lived in Houston for 14 years but grew up in socal in the 70's -90's attending Bug in's, Johnny's speednchrome shows, and vw classics.

diymirage (name?)....geez, wish I saw how you made your cuts for your pick up...would have saved me a lot of time trying how to figure it out!

if you wanna see more vw stuff, I've added picks to my fotki....empinut.

thanks,

Bill

i am the ex-longtime owner of a 74 thing, along with a couple of ghias, a small oval window bug, and some 356 porsches.

i miss this car the most:

leftsidetacotruck.jpg

gene berg motor:

motor3best.jpg

rearrighttopup.jpg

its great to see all the interest in VWs here.

Edited by jbwelda