Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette question for Izzy!

(BUZZER sound)

You already have 2 strikes. There were no 1983 Corvettes, as production cars sold to the public, and if there were, they were like '84s, not '82. There were 44 cars made for testing and press release, but they were all pilot cars. In short, the C4 was not ready in time for production and the decision was made to certify it as a 1984 model year. Production started in March '83, resulting in a very long production year. That help reach the 51,547 production number.

A 1983 Corvette would look like an 84, but with 15 inch wheels. The original idea was to have 15s and the 16s as optional. It was then decided to keep the 16 as standard equip.

It is believed that only one of the 44 samples survived: The one in the Corvette museum in Bowling Green.

Since the 1983 model year was skipped, some leftover '82s were marketed as 83s, but the VIN coding clearly show 1982 model year.

Does this helps?

Thanks,

Not Izzy but I should be able to help a bit.

There were 61 '83 Vettes built but I believe that only one has survived. The surviving car is white although I recall reading that several red and gold cars were also produced and probably other colors as well.

The body, engine and interior is identical to that of the '84 so the best kit to start with would be the mpc '84 kit or the Monogram one although the latter is a curbside kit.

The only difficulty would be the wheels which would be changed by the time 'the available to the public' '84's rolled off the production line.

If you're serious about building this car let me know. I believe I have some references including pics of the wheels.

rob w

The actually number will vary depending on who you talk to, some say 43 or 44, although some experts i've talked to said 43, I don't think as many as 61 were produced.

The reason the 83 was never sold or put into production was due to a massive amount of quality issues with it, which is typical for a completely new design, case in point, the 68.

If you want to replicate the 83 you'll need an 84-90 Vette. The bodies were nearly identical for them years until 91... I might double check a few sources but I think they were mostly the same from 84-90. MPC did an 84 (probably one on eBay) and Monogram did one I think... for some reason I think it was a snaptite. The one in the Corvette Museum is white.

Then you were right :)

The Revell '82 is a snap and it has the wrong engine. Also, 82's were all automatics. (700R4). The kit also has molded sidepipes that don't belong there. I've heard the '83 Camaro does have the correct Cross-Fire engine. Maybe the MPC kits are a better start. But I'm not a kit expert. I do know you can build the Ghost Rider as a stock '81 or '82.

Thanks,