Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another good stripping agent

Hey guys me the tamiya spray paint stripping guy again. Found another good product to use for takin that stuff off with. Klean Srip mineral spirits. Works great! Soak for about 2 days and scrub with a medium scrub brush takes it right off. I did it with a 40 year old kit and it didnt harm the plastic at all! Can buy it at about any hardware store and its odorless. Just thought i would share.

Ryan

Thanks a lot for that tip! Glad somebody had the nerve to try it! smile.gif I always suspected that it would work on the paint but eat the plastic, too. There's always some mineral spirits in my workshop so I wouldn't have to buy anything that I don't normally use anyway. Maybe I'll try it on an old body first but it's good to hear that you get good results.

I have found that any oven cleaner SPRAY works the best.. i followed a popular guide i found basically

- get a thick plastic bag

- put all your plastic in

- spray it with a decent amount of oven cleaner (spray works good because it bubbles and covers your plastic)

-wait about 24hrs

-scrub off with a toothbrush, whipe clean with water

really simple, really effective

last night i used my method also, did it before i went to work for a short shift, got back 4 hrs later and it was scrubbing off like a breeze with "Mr Muscle oven cleaner", didnt effect the plastic what-so-ever too

The only reason im saying this is because almost everyone has some oven cleaner .. it may be a pain looking for something specific and most likely high priced :lol:

(by the way it was stipping about 4 layers of enamel paint off the plastic which i had done a bad paint job of)

Edited by Van Halen