Model Cars Magazine Forum

BIG Bandai 1/12th '68 Vette?

Any forum members knows if Japanese Bandai toys still have the mold of the 1968 Corvette Stingray in 1/12th scale available in the 70's, another "vanished" one for at least 25-30 years. (same question can be asked for the smaller "427" 1/16 or /18 scale '68 vette kit).

The smaller kit is a "regular" on eBay in Entex box, but the larger 1/12 kit is rare...meaning pretty pricey :lol: wondering if mold still exist. To my knowledge this is the only large scale plastic kit ever made of C3 (first years:1968-72).

Otaki also made a 1/12 C3, later reissued by Doyusha.

None of the Bandai car kit molds have been destroyed. I have seen them with my very eyes when I visited the factory three years ago. They are carefully stored and fully intact. But the owners of Bandai cannot be convinced that it would be feasible to reissue the car kits. People of Japan have a completely different concept of nostalgia than we have. They fear, the kits would be inadequate for today's market.

Trust me, I asked them, I begged them, I beseeched them. They kept shaking their heads horizontally.

Surely the fact that 1/12 is still a popular size these days......:) ......I know, not as popular as 1/25-1/24.....................:)

Paul, I'm right up there with you mate, this would be the last kit required for me to feel my collection is complete. B)

I've chased down maybe 6 over the last 4 years surfing ebay.....missed out every time. :)

Plus the fact (in my experience) that the 1/12 section on ebay has boomed in the last year or two. Influenced largely by motorbike kits, but also a lot of re-issues from Tamiya (autos)...

Their big Porsche kits being the latest I would think.....or maybe F1......(not really my main interest...)

But I would hope (and we live in hope, don't we..?? ;)) that maybe Bandai see the light and realise an opportunity to help out the modelling culture of today. :)

Maybe we need to hit them with a petition.....?? Send them hundreds of emails.......??? :P

OK....at least still in this world....maybe in Fuman box one day! ;)

Odd that Tamiya "banks" on Nostalgia with their 1/12th car kits of the early 70's: 910, T70, 240ZG, etc, but Bandai's refuse to get in, with a few of their vintage car molds, sad!... guess "fighting" robots kits are better money makers in Big Bosses minds!

Ex Otaki 1/12th C3 (1978-79) that came out in 1979 nice kit but, later '78-82 C3's not my cup of tea.

YES....Trying to get a bandai '68 C3 1/12th MINT kit on eBay kit is tough, a very de$$$$$ired beauty indeed!

Odd that Tamiya "banks" on Nostalgia with their 1/12th car kits of the early 70's: 910, T70, 240ZG, etc, but Bandai's refuse to get in, with a few of their vintage car molds, sad!

Bandai is well aware of this, but they feel their kits will fall short compared with Tamiya and they are right. The Bandai kits weren't really that good. They looked convincing in teh box, but once put together they often lacked finesse.

Bear in mind that Bandai did a lot more than 1/12 scale.

Totally agree, Bandai was first a "Toy" Co, most of their 60's-70's kits where typical japanese plastic "motorized toys" , that where, like you say much better looking on the boxart: lack of details, basic assemblies, bad design proportions & parts fitting:not always the best!!!...resulting in "Toy looking" 1/24 "motorized" car kits, a few 1/20th, 1/18th & 1/16th scale kits where hardly better, from many Entex boxed kits i made back in the 70's early 80's, surely not top notch but a certain "charm" for the time ;), many of those would only get a very, very limited market... guys like us!

But some Bandai kits where very finely detailed (1/16th classic car series + few 1/20th car kits), & other had been gone for so long... commanding collector prices...on eBay!, pretty sure a few would be very good sellers, if Bandai's decided to reissue them in original boxes...or send the molds to FUMAN :P:P:P

The 1/12 '68 Vette...of course no Tamiya 1/12th level here!, not even Otaki 1/12th later C3 kit , but not so bad & as mention, STILL the only 1/12th scale plastic kit of an early C3 & loooooong gone for over two decades!

...Would also be welcomed (to name a few ;)) All of the mid 60's 1/12 F1 kits, 1/8 Jag XKE...(Didn't Monogram sue Bandai :P for this one!),1/20 Dueseberg SJ...Very RARE!,1/20 Porsche 914, Mazda RX2-3, Lamborghini Marzal, 1/16 '37 2 Packards &.... beautiful 1/16 Duesy SSJ:(All of the 1/16th scale classic &... antique car collection was surely Bandai's best, all of them are excellent finely detailed models resulting in real miniature museum pieces).

Yes, I believe the quality of the parts (and accuracy) is way behind even the Tamiya's of the day....but I would still give my first borne for a 69 Vette in 1/12 scale.....:angry:

NOT having seen a Bandai in the flesh (plastic), I am pretty sure the Monogram Vette chassis could be adapted for greater accuracy....?? B) I would love to try at least....Per-leeeeaze Mr Bandai. :lol:

If you do an open, worldwide search for 'Bandai' on Ebay, you get 43,000 results. 11 (eleven) of them are cars. The decision not to reissue any is correct from a business point of view.

I only wonder where all these unbuilt/half-built car kits are. I hauled a stack of them from an attic recently, where they have been sitting for the better part of three decades.

• 9 years later...

I would love to get some of the Bandai kits back again, but there are certain ones that haven’t aged as well as others. I remember building the 1:16 ‘67 Mustang as a kid, and wanted to find another one. When I did pick up another copy, I was surprised to find it was not as nice as my memories led me to believe. I’ve seen other bigger Bandai’s that aren’t as nice, but for many of these cars, it’s the only game in town. Some of those 1:20 kits still hold their own against more modern kits for detail.

13 hours ago, Car Model Guy said:

I have a Bandai 1969 Corvette Stingray for sale if there is any interest?

3 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

I thought they only did the 78 Vette. I have never seen a "steel" bumper 1/12 Vette.

Len, the 68-69 is indeed a rare catch these days. One can only assume that original production numbers were quite low?

Maybe not many got built because of the stated "lack of details" put forward by a few.....Now finally, I can add my two cents to that argument. ? After what seems like half a life time searching and wanting one of these kits so badly, I was ready to give my first borne....but, without such bargaining tender, I had to resort to cash/card. ?

The quality of the body appears quite good, as for accuracy, I can only say that it looks good to my eye. I haven't done measurements to compare to a 1:1 68 Corvette. The Monogram 67 chassis will fit without too much effort, which is a huge plus. Using the kit chassis even as a starting point would require massive mods....Lucky for me I have a 67 rebuilder in my stash, so at least I didn't have to folk out any extra on top of my purchase price.

While the "box stock" model would probably build just fine as a shelf piece, even with inaccuracies...I would recommend looking for something else, because if like me, you are after an accurate piece to display...this kit will leave you asking many questions... I would highly recommend kit-bashing it with a Revellogram 67 kit. ?

Can't believe I've truly had mine for over 4 years......

20160329_140837.jpg

20160330_093601.jpg

20160330_143630.jpg