Model Cars Magazine Forum

anyone who knows how do front end conversion

I've tried twice and come up short- here's what NOT to do...

The first time, I tried cutting and pasting just the grille area from the Revell Escalade (after I'd cut the hood open) to the Silverado nose. That effort ended when I realized I'd still need to splice in the fender flares and rockers from the Escalade to the pickup, not to mention the repair work I'd need to do to the Escalade hood after my somewhat ham-fisted attempt at opening it.

On the second try (which didn't turn out totally unsalvagable, and I may finally finish it one day), I still opened the hood, but I cut off the Escalade front end at the front door cut line, and just above the rocker panel cladding. I essentially removed the entire upper door/roof section from the Escalade. I then cut the Silverado cab in the same manner, and just glued the severed upper door/cab portion from the Silverado onto the Escalade rockers and doghouse.The reason this second version isn't done is simply because I don't remember where I put the first Escalade donor kit, and I don't want to buy a second one just for its rear rockers and flares (I'm running the Escalade side cladding all the way to the bed).

Of course, you could save a bit of trouble by leaving the Escalade hood molded closed, and just making it a curbside, and slam it out on some huge wheels... which is probably what I should have done in the first place!

well i went to my local hobby lobby bought an eslade model just one to play around with after i cut the front end off was then able realize the esclade front end is wider :D so just a heads up if ur wanting do the front end swap dont buy the esclade by revell thats two tone green n silver has the lambo doors n stuff wont work inless ur looking for ten times more work to do lol SSPX0755.jpgSSPX0758.jpg

I was intrigued by this thread. I have both kits so I busted out the X-acto and the calipers. I tried Chuck's second method. Now I also need a second Escalade so I can put its body side molding on the pickup bed. Right now it needs some massaging, but I think it looks good. I'll spray on some primer and post pics later on.

Here is how it is done in real life. You need the complete front end assembly including the radiator support. Not sure how the models will work. If I were doing it I would use the rear flares and then use bondo to make the rocker and lower door trim. That is just me and have never attempted this on a model just thought I would throw my 2 cents out there. And on a real one if they use 2nd gen Escalade kit it is done by using custom fenders or cutting the front fenders on both vehicles in half and grafting them together. And the reason the Escalade kits bumper and stuff is wider is to accomodate the flares. Now if you want you could also do like I have seen and cut a section out of the center so you don't need flares.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759