Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamel Paint Source

Welcome Tim!

Try:

Colpar Hobbies

804 South Havana Street, Aurora, CO‎ - (303) 341-0414‎

Try Model Masters Black Chrome in bottles or Tamiya's got a satin black in their spray lacquers (well worth the extra $) Don't spray lacquer over enamel.

Welcome Tim!

Try:

Colpar Hobbies

804 South Havana Street, Aurora, CO‎ - (303) 341-0414‎

Try Model Masters Black Chrome in bottles or Tamiya's got a satin black in their spray lacquers (well worth the extra $) Don't spray lacquer over enamel.

I appreciate the information. I'm working on a '69 Z/28 Camaro RS. This is my first project in nearly forty-years.

Welcome back, Tim. Have fun with your model.

As to satin or semi-gloss black, another good paint is Tamiya's X-18 semi-gloss black. It covers well and dries nicely.

Testors re-formulated their paints, probably due to some nonsesne purported by the "greenie goblins" so they don't cover as well as they used to. I've found that priming underneath them is an absolute must now for adequate coverage, even with black. I've also found the re-forumulation has made them start taking an eternity to dry. I'd recommend hitting the parts with a hair dryer on low to help speed up the catalyzation. When air-brushing, use lacquer thinner, it thins them out very nicely and they dry almost immediately with excellent gloss in gloss paints.

As far as primer, I'd recommend either Plasti-Kote sandable primer (I use gray usually,) or Valspar Lacquer primer that you can purchase at the large chain craft stores, and possibly other sources. The Valspar primer is more-or-less Plasti-Kote at a much more reasonable price. I do find though, that the Valspar primer is a little less heavy-bodied which helps to avoid hiding details, and works well as a substrate for any paint, enamel or lacquer.

Charlie Larkin