Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya clearcoat

Mark is right!! I like to shoot my first 3 coats very lightly 15 to 20 minutes apart right out of the can. I will add another 3 wetter coats 20 minutes apart and that's it, I think it works great. Of course, I always wetsand and polish it at the end. Make sure it's completely dry before wetsanding/polishing at the end! ;) One of the things I like about Tamiya Clears is how thin they go on.

Ok thanks! So do you have to wetsand it or will it come out pretty good even without sanding. And what grit do you use?

It's all on how you prefer it my friend, if you are pleased with the final results you can leave it as is. I personally wetsand and polish all my finishes like a lot of the fellas here. I like to use my Micro Mesh system, grits start at 3200 followed by 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and finally 12,000. Learn to use them and I can assure you that you will love them!!!

It's all on how you prefer it my friend, if you are pleased with the final results you can leave it as is. I personally wetsand and polish all my finishes like a lot of the fellas here. I like to use my Micro Mesh system, grits start at 3200 followed by 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000 and finally 12,000. Learn to use them and I can assure you that you will love them!!!

Marc if it is hotter temperature wise would you spray the coats faster? It has been 80-90 degress here in Texas and wonder if speeding up the time between coats would help?

Do you air brush your Tamiya clear?