Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Job Gone Wrong

I have been working on my 2009 Challenger for a little while now, and I went to paint it gloss black yesterday and it "orange peeled" on the hood. I painted Lowe's flat black first (couple weeks ago) on it just fine, but when I went to paint it gloss black it "orange peeled". I also painted the front and rear clips , but they came out good, the hood was the only piece that did that. I didn't paint the body in fear that it would do that too. I still want to paint it all gloss black , but do I need to sand the hood or the front and rear clips too ???

Any help will be greatly appreciated !!! :D

Thanks

i had a similer problem with a car im working on.i used brake fluid and striped it clean im going to start over with freash plastic.my probllem i have a old kit from 1988 its a monte carlo ss i painted krylon true blue but it fisheyed and crackled but could of been the age of the kit.but i am stripping it with brake fluid that way it wont melt the plastic.you can sand and respray and hope for the best which ever works better for you.it could be the oil from your skin i actualy found regular hand soap works great for cleaning off any oil or anything.and then i spray since i been doing this its been very good paint jobs.best of luck hope this was helpful.

Did either of you use primer under the paint?

Also, Mike, I have never had any luck using Krylon paints, the few times I have used them, they either gave me problems like you described or the last time, it would fingerprint even after three weeks! I faithfully use DupliColor automotive paints with no problems at all.

Ive used krylon, like the pic in my avatar i have no problems with the paint and its been done well over a year now. Thing is I wet sanded and kept sprayed paint done this about 4 times. I can post more pics if you want to see how krylon can turn out.

Sorry guys heres the pics :

000_0015.jpg

000_0013.jpg

Now you see what I mean ??? I want it to match the rest of the body. The first thing I did with this car was paint it flat black, all of it.

000_0005.jpg

Yesterday I shot the front and rear clip gloss black and the hood. The hood was the worst, the two clips were fine. Maybe it was the paint ? Should I sand it down and re shoot it flat black and then paint it gloss black again, or just sand it down and shoot it gloss black ?

Either way, what sand paper should I buy ? I have some 800 grit paper, would that be best or ???

In other words what would you guys do ? B);)

Check the Instruction for the Lowe's paint I would bet it says something like recaot with in an hour or wait 48 hrs or more. These paints will sometimes work and sometimes they will wrinkle when recoated. Unfortunately Krylon is now like this also. Krylon's old formula said recoat at anytime. These paints are enamel and paints that say recoat anytime are mostly laquers. Krylon's old white is the best white paint I have ever used, and I do allot of white based cars. The old formula can still be found in some older stores and if you can find a source it is now labelled for Industrial use.

Does not look like orange peel to me. Maybe paint compalabilaty. I realy liked the flat black look. But. Let it dry thorughly....I mean dry dry. Sand smooth with coarse to fine. clean and respray. Looks like you were too close and sprayed too heavy. Light coats, I find are better for the first few and then a wet coat. But thats just me. Good luck.

I think Mark is onto something. Not sure, but it looks like you were holding the nozzle too far away and the paint was starting to dry before it reached the surface. And you kept spraying in hopes that it would flatten out! :lol: That's the usual reason for that thick, lumpy look. (It's not exactly orange peel, BTW. It's sort of beyond orange peel. :D )

If one part of the car came out alright, and the other didn't, there must be something different from Area A to Area B. Could be surface prep, or air temp, or how much you shook the can, or how warm the can was, or how close you held it, or...? Anyhow, I'd go with nozzle distance.

Since the hood is a separate part, I'd just soak it for a couple days in Purple Cleaner and re-paint it.