Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro-Markt DTM Mercedes

Tommy Kortman

Modelers,

I present to you for your viewing pleasure. (and constructive critisism) The Tamiya Pro-Markt DTM Mercedes.

I really liked the color of the molded plastic, and i wanted to see if I could produce a model built without painting the body (like when we were kids) and still have it come out OK. I am generally pleased with the outcome. I dont know if it will ever see a contest table, but it should look great on my shelf. In hindsight, if I were to try this method again on such a light colored plastic, I would probably prime the inside of the body with white primer. This would remove any transparency in the plastic, and brighten the color just a touch.

100_5836-vi.jpg

100_5837-vi.jpg

100_5839-vi.jpg

100_5841-vi.jpg

100_5842-vi.jpg

And heres a link to some of the other photos.

Fotki - ProMarkt Mercedes

Looks nice but keep an eye on the decals, they don't stick to bare plastic well and sometimes come off after time. I find this with window decals on race cars. I started putting some Future under them, it keeps them glued down well.

Looks very nice, I did the "polish the plastic" deal years ago on the AMT Copperhead snap kit, I was astonished how well it turned out after removing all of the mold lines. The hardest part wast painting the windshield frame to match.

Edited by horsepower

Looks nice but keep an eye on the decals, they don't stick to bare plastic well and sometimes come off after time. I find this with window decals on race cars. I started putting some Future under them, it keeps them glued down well.

You are so right. I did have some trouble with a few of the decals. You can see the small ProMarkt decal in the nose folded when i was applying the clear. I used Tamiya clear, and then polished that as well. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.