Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two things are evident

Two things are evident in these pics. First off, I stink at BMF!! Actually this is my first ever BMF job, so its not too horrifying. And second, it might be hard to tell, but, the BMF left some goo on the roof top. I tried a dab of GOO Gone with a Q Tip, but it did not really help. Any ideas to a noob??? Thanks much.

Edited by Brutalform

Actually the oily residue from most any decent floor wax will work too. Uh Bowling Alley, Johnsons Paste, hey even Meguiars ........... Ed Shaver

Yep. I've also used WD-40 applied with a Q-tip, but plain ol' skin oil works great and it's hard to beat the price! :lol:

Edited by roadhawg

Don't burnish the BMF too much before trimming, you can do that after it is trimmed. A light touch with the X-Acto blade is the trick when trimming BMF. Also consider working under a magnafied lamp. If you wander off-course with the knife, try again.

Nothing short of real metal trim looks as good as BMF.

BTW, I like your avatar. You knew my mother in law?

Edited by Jon Cole

Thanks Jon...like I said, it was my very first BMF job. Years ago, I used to just mask and paint trim, or if I was feeling steady, do it free hand, which usually meant Id be respraying the project all over again.

I will take your advice next time, and just lightly touch the blade on it. I think I was using more pressure than I should have on it.

I think I am going to re-clear the roof of the car, as I cant seem to get it shined up where the BMF was.

That 61 Impala is ready to go together soon. Working on a 55 pro street Chevy now. Nice to do other projects while the paint is drying on the current one.

Geez was your mother in law and mine twins???? LOL!!

This site is very, very, cool!!!