Model Cars Magazine Forum

I usually start with sum research as to tha correct firing order, then a trip to tha LHS for a package of spark plug leads. I use tha insulation from telephone wires for plug boots. Other wires and cables come from whatever I can find that looks correct.

Ahhh quik tip Skootz, yur driving an unlicensed vehicle in here and unless yu wanna join me in tha Rogues Gallery, yu'd best put yur real name in tha signature box. Otherwise be careful about driving past tha Model Cars Mag Billboards as tha local Chat Cop loves to pop out and pull ya over fer a Ticket! :wink:

Uh oh, gotta scoot Skootz, 'cause there he is......... :twisted:

auto090.gif

As a beginner with wiring, you can save yourself some trouble by finding a pre-wired distributor.

Here's one source for them...

http://arrowheadaluminum.homestead.com/Distributors.html

One thing every new commer to the aftermarket hobby needs to know before taking the dive into online ordering is to be patient! Some of the aftermarket venders are only doing it as a part time venture and there fore it may take some time to fill an order. As for Dewane at Arrowhead, not only does he travel constantly (driving all over the country to model shows to sell his wares) but he also has been fighting health issues for years. So, when you place an order, don't expect it on your door step the next day. Plan ahead and order accordingly.

Mike Boyle is right, some vendors can take a while. Arrowhead is one of them, but they do produce some great products. There are a number of pre-wireds available, but you'll have to do an online search (I lost my bookmarks a while back, otherwise I'd list them for you)

that was a good point to bring up! a lot of unneccessarily ill feeling comes up due to increased expectations from the inexperienced. we might be a little jaded and don't mind waiting for stuff to arrive but new builders who've not had knowledge of the operating situations of some vendors may find it difficult to wait weeks for a part.

i feel it is better to direct them to the tips and tricks forum for the wide array of great ideas shared there.

i pondered on this a little, and wondered about drilling the holes on the heads before assembling them to the block; feeding the wire through two holes at a time in a loop, and putting a drop of CA glue on to hold it in place. my thinking being twofold; one being to get the wire end at the correct angle, and two to have it securely bonded in place. it would make it somewhat more difficult to paint and final assemble the distributor but i haven't actually tried it yet. just an idea. has it's one pro and several cons, but next time i do wires i'm trying it.

My good friends:

I have noticed that more than a few of you guys are snubbing forum rules… so, I have posted the basic rule here. If, “SkootzRodShopâ€, “Monsterman†and “Charlie†do not post their first and last name in the signature box, or use there full name as a “handle†then posting privileges will be restricted.

Welcome to Model Cars Magazine forums, the newest online forum about our favorite hobby.

One of the very few rules we have here at MCM Online forum is that you must register to post messages. If you register using a "handle" or an "alias", you MUST place your REAL NAME (at least first and last name) in the "signature" below each message. The signature text block is found in your profile section of this board.

If you chose not to display your real name in your signature, you will receive a warning which, if ignored, will result in removal of posting privileges.

tincar1.jpg

You have been warned!

Thank you, and the rest of you can go on with your business now….

hey sorry bout that. should be fixed now. Not until recently have i really gotten into modeling with more intentions as to make them look funtional. Its alot cheaper to try a crazy body mod, or something on a 10-15$ model then a 13k$ fiberglass body. Dont feel so bad if it doesnt work either. But i have to give all of you alot of credit, this takes alot of skill, i am truley amazed at this craft, and just finding this forum has opened it up to a much larger specticle then i imagined it. So thanks to you all for the inspiration! Now i can do something constructive when i run out of propane in the shop! Im gunna give the wiring a shot hopefully tomm, ive got some phone-line wire around here somewhere so im gunna try it out on a spare motor, ill post some pics of progress. This hobby is also teaching me alot of patience, i used to throw stuff together in like two days, but ive been working on my monte carlo now for over a month and still dont even have the body or the engine ready to paint, no suspension done yet, not even any primer, im really taking my time and im happy even with the results i have so far. so thanks again!