Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fender Flares

I picked mine up the other day. They didn't have all three densities, so the guy gave me 2 15's and 2 18's. Haven't put a knife or file to it yet, but the stuff looks interesting.

I was told that a 4 X 8 foot sheet of 3/4" would run around $150. He also said they only sell full sheets. They had thicknesses up to 4" with a commensurate increase in price.

So, besides this super-saian top-dog wonder foam, any other tips for making fender flares?

From the pile of "I'll-finish-it-someday" kits, is this Mustang TransAm build. The flares are thin aluminum sheet. I first made patterns from heavy stock paper.

DSC00010-vi.jpg

DSC00011-vi.jpg

The outer lip is a larger diameter of aluminum wire; superglued in place, and trimmed for length (eventually) and filed all edges.

DSC00012-vi.jpg

EDIT: In the last pic, is my container of baking soda. It makes a greak "kicker" for the superglue.

Edited by Jon Cole

Those flares look pretty good, Jon. What do you mean about baking soda being a CA "kicker"?

Well, when I glue any of these materials in place, there is not a lot of 'contact area'. Those tiny pins I glued at each end of the flare are a good example. Using tweezers, I held the pin in place, and added a drop of medium viscosity super glue. Then I dump a pinch of baking powder to the liquid glue. That will "kick" it, or in other words, cause the glue to instantly turn solid. Same thing with the wire bead around the outer edge of the flare... clamp; add a drop of super glue; "kick" with baking soda; unclamp; tap off excess powder, and continue glue/kick until the entire piece is attached. Using the medium, or thick viscosity super glues work great for this.

Edited by Jon Cole

• 5 weeks later...

Here's another carving material, found thanks to Matt @ Dencon. I haven't tried it yet, but looks promising also, maybe Matt has tried it?

Balsa foam linky

I have been playing with both. I like the Balsa Foam much better. It carves and sands allot easier. Carving details is very easy and water does not effect it at all. The free sample stuff is better in only one way. You can get that little bit for free. The balsa Foam is worth the money. It is the stuff that ILM's and Weta's model and prop shops use in making everything for movies like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

I am using it to make some flars for a master of an up coming resin body I will be coming out with in 2011. It is also great for making bucks for vacu forming.

Matt

Guest madazzskilzkustumz

The Link you provided is for people / businesses that will use larger quantities. Also, you will probably be contacted by the local sales rep. to see what you do with it / get you catalogs / get your business info / etc. The 'Hobby kit' link is for people like us - who only need a little bit - and aren't interested in being contacted by sales reps or ordering large quantities.

I guess either one would work - but don't be surprised if a sales rep shows up @ your door. FWIW smile.gif

OK thanks. It worked 4 me. Said I get 3 differnt wieghts. and only 10 dollers shiping! ;) JIMMY!

• 3 weeks later...