Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need tips on how to convert a 65 2+2 into a Bonneville

Can anyone tell me how can i convert my AMT 65 Pontiac 2+2 kit into a 66 Bonneville. A friend of mines had a 66 Bonneville that i wouldnt mind making a replica out of. I would appreciate any advice or tips to make this possible.

I'd start with the '65 Bonneville kit.That at least gets that item out of the way, then see if Modelhaus offers the bumpers and such for 1966.

OOOO, Rick, THAT'S gonna be kinda tricky, cause the differences are more than just a new front an rear end! The front fender tops are a bit more sculpted and the bottom and rear of the rear quarter panels are a bit more sharply sculpted than a 65. To be HONEST with ya, I'd just TRY ta find a 66 MPC kit,(VERY expensive) or try to find an old OTAKI kit. THAT would give you the proper body, and you could use the interior and chassis from the 65. The Otaki kit is a curbside with a ratty shallow interior, crappy chassis and full widows(side glass molded in) BUT it IS reasonably priced on the bay. The ONLY reason I know is caz I did it. THEN I was able to find an unbuilt one on the bay. Otaki kit unbuilt, 22.00 plus S/H, the MPC kit, UNBUILT,175.00 Plus S/H. BIGGGG difference!!!! Hope this helps.biggrin.gifwink.gif

Edited by george 53

OOOO, John, THAT'S gonna be kinda tricky, cause the differences are more than just a new front an rear end! The front fender tops are a bit more sculpted and the bottom and rear of the rear quarter panels are a bit more sharply sculpted than a 65. To be HONEST with ya, I'd just TRY ta find a 66 MPC kit,(VERY expensive) or try to find an old OTAKI kit. THAT would give you the proper body, and you could use the interior and chassis from the 65. The Otaki kit is a curbside with a ratty shallow interior, crappy chassis and full widows(side glass molded in) BUT it IS reasonably priced on the bay. The ONLY reason I know is caz I did it. THEN I was able to find an unbuilt one on the bay. Otaki kit unbuilt, 22.00 plus S/H, the MPC kit, UNBUILT,175.00 Plus S/H. BIGGGG difference!!!! Hope this helps.biggrin.gifwink.gif

Hey, you think that's tricky? try taking a 1978 Fury and back dating it into a 1974 Dodge Monaco! I did that to a old shell I had of Rosco's 1978 Fury. The body styles are different on both cars. So what he's asking really isn't that hard at for me isn't really hard at all to do. LOL

The thing is knowing how to reshape the sides and roof and rebuilding/retooling the original shell into another shell style.