Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 camaro Z28

diymirage

not really a chevy guy but i had a coupon for 40 % off and this looked like a nice out of box build to knock out in a week or two.

the engine is the kits stock 302 with a twin turbo set up

it was quite a pain getting all those chrome intake parts to line up but i think it came out allright

the wifey suggested i paint the block white (in keeping with the outside of the car) and i figured a twin turbo Z28 just might be baller enough to pull it off...you decide

IMG00008-20100728-0607.jpg

IMG00007-20100728-0607.jpg

i got the first parts of the two tone paint job done but i will need to touch up on the white since i oversprayed the red way too much

IMG00003-20100728-0606.jpg

about the paintjob...when i was young i scooted around town on dirtbikes, i went everywhere on those things and i was always getting into trouble with the cops

usually i would just get some rattle cans and paint my bike a different color when the cops got to know it too well

one day me and my buddies were sitting in the bar and we had this great idea...what if we painted one side of the bike bleu and the other side red?

that would cut our changes of being recognized in half :lol:

so we did and thats where the idea for this paintjob came from

IMG00001-20100728-0605.jpg

IMG00005-20100728-0606.jpg

I really don't know what to say but it does look Cool.

Engine looks good.

The 2 tone(?) paint would really screw with the police chasing ya,

Just loose the coppers and turn around and drive by them, they'll drive right on by ya :lol:

Mmmmm, I may just have to try that 2 tone one day.. :lol:

BTW: it looks like ya left the lights on on the Cuda. :lol:

Looks good so far. Very interesting concept with the 2-tone. Did the twin turbo set up come with this kit? In my parts box from years ago I have half the turbo set up and I've been wondering if that's what it was. I never built a Camaro, so I must have got it from another kit at some point...

thanks for the kind words guys

the kit is indeed the revell 85-0870 camaro

it comes with two different hoodscoops (niether one i wanted to use on here) and the twin turbo set up as you see it

funny thing, the setup has a big design flaw in it, it comes with two aircleaners that mount right in the turbo (i still need to install those) and a third aircleaner that sits on the conventional spot on top of the carb

not quite right i think

it also comes with 2 half sets of rims, the two that are on the drivers side are the front rims and for the rears the kit had a set of spiders

in keeping with the paint i decided to keep different rims on each side

this kit may be the most chromed kit ive ever build

apart from the usual parts like the valve covers and alternator half the engine is chrome: the entire exhaust, oilpan, bellhousing, fan pulleys and belt and even some interior parts like the rollcage and fire extinguisher

Hey. that '71 'cuda looks great on the wall.

Your '69 Camaro looks great! interesting paint scheme, too.

I built one of these Monogram kits a couple of years ago.

another model board I belong to had a '69 Camaro Community Build Project,

I chose this one. of course, I was the ONLY one who did.

it is a fair kit, brought back alot of memories, I built one up long, long, ago.

when it was a new kit.

my version:

100_0074.jpg

this was my first photoshoot with the cuda clip on the wall and im very pleased with the way it looks and all the positive reactions ive gotten to it :)

i'm suprised no one has yet asked why you are building THAT '69 Camaro kit when the more accurate and much better Revell kit is out there :lol: i think it's awesome and those old Monogram based Camaro's are still my most favorite's, they are full of cool vintage speed parts.

the turbo system is accurate for a 70's style aftermarket set-up. the wheels too while mismatched in thier style are both from MotorWheel with "Fly's" on the front and "Spyders" on the back.

keep us posted, it's nice to see someone building this kit ;)

Dave

as to why i picked this kit...like i said before i'm not a chevy guy but the boxart just grabbed my attention (maybe this looks better then the way chevy designed the camaro ;) ) and when i read it had a twin turbo i was sold :)

so far this kit is coming together very nicely and i really cant complain about it

(i dont like the mismatched rims but like you said, thats period/aplication accurate)

only thing i just dont get is how would this turbo set up work?

isnt the stock aircleaner one massive boostleak?

I don't even know where to begin on that twin turbo set up (the model looks good so far though). Worst of all worlds is the best way to describe it. You draw air in through the turbos, heat it, completely leave out the cooling afterwords, and then shove it UNDER your fuel/3rd air delivery system (which works on VACUUM, not PRESSURE). Better idea (if it isn't to be intercooled) is to run a pressure box around or pressure bonnet on top of the carb, creating a blow-through system. As it is, it can't even be an effective draw-through set up (if draw-through was ever a good idea anyway).

As I said, the model is looking good; it is not your fault the real system is so poorly engineered.

I am not so sure those things on the turbos are meant to be aircleaners. Too be effective, I would think that setup would require some kinds of ram air system or airducts similar to the olds 442s. But regardless, I think there is nothing wrong with that monogram camaro. I never noticed the body proportions when I built it. It may not be accurate, but it still has badass styling. If anything, people should be hating on that lacklustre interior with its barely visible details. I think that one did not even have a backseat. But the shell is strong plastic with crisp detailing. And like others have said, came with some cool parts. Doesn't this one come with a b&m style ratchet shifter? And those wheels on the white side of the car totally fit this car I think. Well done so far.

Edited by sak

I am not so sure those things on the turbos are meant to be aircleaners. Too be effective, I would think that setup would require some kinds of ram air system or airducts similar to the olds 442s. But regardless, I think there is nothing wrong with that monogram camaro. I never noticed the body proportions when I built it. It may not be accurate, but it still has badass styling. If anything, people should be hating on that lacklustre interior with its barely visible details. I think that one did not even have a backseat. But the shell is strong plastic with crisp detailing. And like others have said, came with some cool parts. Doesn't this one come with a b&m style ratchet shifter? And those wheels on the white side of the car totally fit this car I think. Well done so far.

seems to me they would work just fine as airfilters, the only reason they usually install some tubing is to get colder air into the engine (those turbos get hot)

i think your right, it does come with a nice ratchet shifter but your wrong on the back seat, it actually comes with one that has cut outs for the roll bar so you are "forced" to install that

my only gripe with the kit is that it doesnt have extra gauges, if that were my engine i would want a boost gauge and a AFR guage at the very least (might ad that later)

as for the rims, they aremt my favorite (i love the ones on the red side) but i agree, that flow well with the car, specially in white

i picked up some paint yesterday so i can do some interior work over the weekend :P

• 2 months later...

found a few minutes here and there over the past weeks to work on her and i felt it was time for an update

the engine is wired and installed (i figured this ride was baller enough to pull of the purple plug wires)

the interior is done and installed

i origenally planned on keeping the back seat and adding a rollbar but the best way i could make it sit in there required me to remove the roll bar

that consequently left some holes in the backseat so out that went...consider it a weight delete option :lol:

looks like just about all that is left is installing the exhaust and doing some minor paint touch up/detailing

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjAtMjAxMDExMTQtMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTgtMjAxMDExMTQtMTYxMy5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTctMjAxMDExMTQtMTYxMy5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMDExMTQtMTYxNi5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTktMjAxMDExMTQtMTYxNC5qcGc.jpg

as always, im open to suggestions and comments are welcome