Model Cars Magazine Forum

COBRA -Sylvester Stallone

Hello all:),

Recently in many different topics here, including the topic "What did you get today:)". I have seen many of you here say the you got the Revell 49 mercury kit, I have seen that kit in my own local Hobby Lobby, and the box claims to have different grills etc. Still I am wondering with the parts currently inside that kit, would it be possible to build a 50 Mercury like the one in the Movie Cobra by Sylvester Stallone, or would I have to find some extra parts for that because I am seeing that I would have to with the Wheel caps. Anyone who has this kit lend me your thoughts, on building and other possibilities with it:). Thank You.

Hello all:),

Recently in many different topics here, including the topic "What did you get today:)". I have seen many of you here say the you got the Revell 49 mercury kit, I have seen that kit in my own local Hobby Lobby, and the box claims to have different grills etc. Still I am wondering with the parts currently inside that kit, would it be possible to build a 50 Mercury like the one in the Movie Cobra by Sylvester Stallone, or would I have to find some extra parts for that because I am seeing that I would have to with the Wheel caps. Anyone who has this kit lend me your thoughts, on building and other possibilities with it:). Thank You.

You could replicate the Merc that "The Pharohs" drove in the movie American Grafitti"... then do the bad boy '55 Chevy that was driven by Harrison Ford - and then the '58 Impala which was the star of the show - and you'd have an awesome threesome! Just a suggestion... ;):lol:;)

You could replicate the Merc that "The Pharohs" drove in the movie American Grafitti"... then do the bad boy '55 Chevy that was driven by Harrison Ford - and then the '58 Impala which was the star of the show - and you'd have an awesome threesome! Just a suggestion... :):):)

You know know that I am thinking about it, since I was recently layedd off my job, an ex co-worker of mine built a Dragster from the movie American Grafitti. He also told me that the model from the film was incorrect, and that he had to use parts from another model kit of the same car in order to make it look correct, I am not sure but I think that it was the Exhausts and the Bumpers that were incorrect? He also went so far as to get a screen shot of the licence plates and print them out and then glue them on, it was very impressive work that I have seen of that car. But I will keep your suggestion in mind ;).

Edited by davyou5

The Milner (Paul LeMat)coupe plate? Anyone that's a fan of the movie (I have been, since I was about 6 and first watched it) knows that plate number. THX 138.

The dragster was from the somewhat obscure sequel.

The 58 Impala mentioned above was "owned" by Steve Bolander (Ron Howard.)

The 55 used in the movie, and driven by Harrison Ford was also the same car later used in Two Lane Blacktop as most of you know.

Suzanne Sommers was gorgeous in that movie...Makenzie Phillips not so much.

The "main" Pharaoh was Jerry Reed, later known as "The Snowman" in the Bandit movies.

In my opinion, it's the best Lucas film ever.

The Milner (Paul LeMat)coupe plate? Anyone that's a fan of the movie (I have been, since I was about 6 and first watched it) knows that plate number. THX 138.

The dragster was from the somewhat obscure sequel.

The 58 Impala mentioned above was "owned" by Steve Bolander (Ron Howard.)

The 55 used in the movie, and driven by Harrison Ford was also the same car later used in Two Lane Blacktop as most of you know.

Suzanne Sommers was gorgeous in that movie...Makenzie Phillips not so much.

The "main" Pharaoh was Jerry Reed, later known as "The Snowman" in the Bandit movies.

I believe that American Graffiti really awakened the collecter car market - especially interest in the '58 Chevy. It is without a doubt, one of my all time favorite movies with a clean plot, excellent music and cars and performers who fittheir respective roles perfectly - I think. Everyone looked the part and suited their roles.. Richard Dreyfuss was excellent as was Ron Howard - and Cindy Williams - well.. boy, she sure did look good! :P Bo Hopkins ( not Jerry Reed - sorry ;) ) was awesome - looking and acting the part with total professionalism.. Toad was good too.. the first nerd :D

As for the cars, I loved the '58 Impala.. Milner's coupe was OK too but I have never been in love with 55 Chevys.. havng said that, I wasn't too thrilled when they destroyed the one at the end. It seemed to me that the car that they rolled was one of the two door sedans as stated but apparently the car that burned was a two door hardtop made to resemble a post car. That makes even me cringe... But then, I know that movie cars do NOT lead a charmed life as my son owns the three red Camaros that were used in the second last episode of Stargate Atlantis and the studios are strictly into cosmetics rather than making a car into what it is supposed to represent. The cars are strictly tools to be used and then discarded.

Ah, but then there were all of the background cars - especially at the drive in. Sadly, aside from a partial shot of one in the junkyard scene, there were no '59 Chevys ( my first love ) although there was a blue '60 Sport Coupe that looked pretty sweet. Then there was the '62 Impala hardtop at the end at the start of the race scene.

Definitely a timeless classic.. The second one was not near as good as far as I am concerned.. I really didn't enjoy the part where Toad and Joe's chopper was shot down and Joe died. I liked his character and that bummed me out. Yeah.. the first one was definoitely a classic.. :):):)

In the book “Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1946-1975â€, models are listed chronologically. After the all-new 1949 Mercury, the following description appears for the 1950 model:

“For 1950, the letters of the word MERCURY were embedded in chrome on the front of the hood. The signal lights were chrome encased, in a fashion similar to that used on the 1948 Cadillac. The design of the trunk chrome was altered, as was the tip on the side spear. The biggest change was made to the dash, it was completely restyled.â€

It sounds like you could do a custom 1950 Merc from either the AMT or Revell ’49 Merc.

COBRAmovie1950MERCURY10-vi.jpg

COBRAmovie1950MERCURY12-vi.jpg

Note bullit holes in the trunk:

COBRAmovie1950MERCURY08-vi.jpg

In the book “Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1946-1975â€, models are listed chronologically. After the all-new 1949 Mercury, the following description appears for the 1950 model:

“For 1950, the letters of the word MERCURY were embedded in chrome on the front of the hood. The signal lights were chrome encased, in a fashion similar to that used on the 1948 Cadillac. The design of the trunk chrome was altered, as was the tip on the side spear. The biggest change was made to the dash, it was completely restyled.â€

It sounds like you could do a custom 1950 Merc from either the AMT or Revell ’49 Merc.

Oh Yeah!! That's the car! I remember now that AWSOM 50 Plate. Later after my Testarossa project I think I will give the Revell Kit a try:).

Modelhaus lists a 1950 Mercury dash for $3.00

Also suggest starting the bullit holes with a small moto tool grind head, slight dimple the surface b4 you actually drill the holes.

Edited by Jon Cole

Modelhaus lists a 1950 Mercury dash for $3.00

Also suggest starting the bullit holes with a small moto tool grind head, slight dimple the surface b4 you actually drill the holes.

Hey thanks for finding that for me John, I saved the website back for when I get the chance to start this costume job up, the only problem I am foreseeing right now is where am I going to find a simliar hood as pictured here? Also I will keep making the Bullet holes in mind if I decide to try it:). Thank you all.

COBRAmovie1950MERCURY10-vi.jpg

Edited by davyou5

Yes that is the same exact plate, my ex co-worker decided to print it out from a screenshot from the movie, because the decal of the plate did not match in the kit for the film.

That hood scoop looks easy to scratch-build from scrap plastic. The hard part is finding a photo of it from a higher angle... hard to judge what the shape is from that angle. If no photo exists... fake it! Just use your best judgement. Remember, if you cannot tell what shape it is, then... neither can anyone else looking at your finished model!

Wait a minute! More reference material found!

COBRA Movie car @ Planet Hollywood in NYC

rfromCOBRAPlanetHollywoodinNYC-vi.jpg

I say that is still easy to fabricate! Besides... is that really the actual movie car? That scoop looks taller than the other pics.

Perhaps the entire PH car is just a fiberglas knock-off?

Edited by Jon Cole

:rolleyes:

I say that is still easy to fabricate! Besides... is that really the actual movie car? That scoop looks taller than the other pics.

I just read a trivia article about it, They say that this is a Stunt car used in the film and that it was sold to planet Hollywood because it was in New York.

Easy Fabrication Yes it is possible, I am just wondering if I could find a company that would do it cheap enough, or if possible using a similar scoop from a Hemi Cuda? or something very close to that design? Thanks again John :).

Edited by davyou5

Davyou5- Heres a replica that im working on from the movie "Cobra". I'd used the Revell kit since the top was already chopped. The kit includes the grille just like the one in the movie.

ModelCars124.jpg

ModelCars125.jpg

ModelCars122.jpg

I'd used the kits chrome reverse wheels except i'd stripped off the plating and painted them Silver Metallic and the tires are from a 1980's MPC kit. The paint i'd used on the Merc is Dupli-Color Dark Shadow Gray Metallic. Theres a few things on my build thats not accurate but close enough.

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

Davyou5- Heres a replica that im working on from the movie "Cobra". I'd used the Revell kit since the top was already chopped. The kit includes the grille just like the one in the movie.

I'd used the kits chrome reverse wheels except i'd stripped off the plating and painted them Silver Metallic and the tires are from a 1980's MPC kit. The paint i'd used on the Merc is Dupli-Color Dark Shadow Gray Metallic. Theres a few things on my build thats not accurate but close enough.

Ahhh, that is so cool! I think that you did exceptionally well :lol: . Still I am wondering how you came by the hood scoop? Was it allready added to the kit? Also I note here just now one of the pictures shown earlier of some movie shots, so it leads me to wonder if there is a front bumper that exists similar to the one on the car, and would it fit onto Revell's Kit? I think those who have done a hundred or more models can answer this question.

Still I love what you have done. I am going to keep your paint suggestion in mind when I get this project underway. Thank you for showing it to us ;) .

the bumper guards or overriders can be found in the AMT '49 Mercury kit but the bumpers from that one i think are going to be too narrow for the Revell kit. you may try carefully cutting them away from the AMT kit bumper and adding them to the Revell kits bumpers.

take note that for some reason the hood scoop on the Planet Hollywood car was filled.

Dave

Thank you for pointing that out to me, I found the kit on Ebay, its an opened box, and I admit to feeling bad about having to use it for parts. From what I have seen the Scale of the two match, but if I end up winning the AMT kit I will find out if its going to fit or not, Now it's time to find the matching Flat hub caps! Still right now I am just gathering information, this will be a project for later on. Any way thanks again for your suggestion.

Yes I did notice that the Hood Scoop was filled in, I am trying to remember the scene were the car literally drops to the road during the chase, I don't remember the hood being filled in.

Parts by Parks makes real aluminum spun discs to replicate the wheel covers.

Hey Ben, thanks for that tip, I found the website and saved it back, yes the disc's are there for $12.00, not bad, this is going to be one costly project, but it'll be worth it just to get the car as close to accurate as possible :) .

• 2 years later...

Two out of three anyway.........

Bo Hopkins was in AG and More AG......not Jerry Reed.

You are correct Milner's tag was THX 138 and not THX 1138 as CA in 62 did not have 7 digit tags on private autos.

And if I had to pick one Lucas film it would be AG......but he did some other decent films.......like Howard the Duck!!!! :P

AG means a lot to me as I grew up in So Cal. And While I was too young to drive in 1962 I did like to go up to the 'Holly House' drive in off Whittier Blvd and see the 'older' kids and their hot rods. I went to AG opening night and fell in love with the film. I have an original opening day theater poster and many of the cars from the film in many scales. Great film.

Edited by Dave Van

rfromCOBRAPlanetHollywoodinNYC-vi.jpg

The "Doc Hollywood" Porsche at the Planet Hollywood in Myrtle Beach is definitely a gutted mock up. I can't imagine they would try to hang a perfectly good Merc from the ceiling of a restaurant. This one has to be gutted too. Besides, didn't the movie car have an open hood scoop?

Edited by Skydime

Heck it should be really easy to build the "Cobra" Merc from the Revell kit! They've both got the same funky chop!

There's a much better Merc than that one, or the AG Merc, in Terence Malick's great film, Badlands, with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek.

286937-Badlands00018.jpg

i089352.jpg

Gotta admit the grill's not so wonderful... looks like it might have come from a Pinto!