Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is with ebay?

Can some explain to me why some auctions say "no reserve" but there is a minimum price that it forces you to use?

I emailed ebay about this and got back a "thank you for your concern..." form letter.

John

Starting bid and Reserve are two different types of listings. Starting bid is what it will sell for if someone bids on it, or more if others bid also. Reserve is an amount set by the seller that you do not see until the reserve is met.

As far as ebay in general I'm happy with it. Still WAY cheaper than selling at local auction house with not bidders. I have had Paypal since the beginning and have NOT had an issue with them. The 21 day holding is when they suspect wrong doing, had someone file a complaint or a charge-back. This may also happen if you have your ebay fees paid directly from your paypal account. They do NOT hold everyone's money.

I would like to know how JimnOhio can ship kits for $5.50 -$6.00 anywhere in the US using UPS. I have a UPS daily account, for over 15yrs now and a 1 lb package from AZ to Cleveland OH is $11.13 published rate (what ebay uses) and cost me $8.36. If it were sent to a rural area it's over $10.00 my cost. Priority Mail is $8.60 plus $1.75 insurance.

If you want the best deal with shipping, Click on the "Price + Shipping lowest first" in the sort order.

AzTom

Personally, I don't care is shipping is free or twenty bucks for one kit. If the total price including shipping is worth the purchase, I'll do it. A buyer must include shipping as part of the equation. Whether we drive to the LHS or order a model from a Far East hobby vendor, there is a "cost" associated with the acquisition. Sure, one can go to a show and buy five buck kits all day long, but what did it cost you to get to the show? Fuel, airfare, hotel, food, etc?

As for the "21 day hold" on Paypal funds, I believe they only do this when you earn lower than a 4.0 star rating on one of the four categories that buyers rate sellers on.

I dont have a local Hobby shop near me, so I've come to find my self paying the extra shipping on ebay, and other places, because its still cheaper than driving a 80 miles to a shop, not to mention lunch and all the other stops that go along with a day out of town. But I have actualy gotten some pretty good deals lattly I think. I just recently purchesed about 10 models in the last week or two and I've only spent about 80 bucks or so between them including shipping. granted they may not be the "hot" kits out right now, but they will be more than enough to keep me out of trouble for wile. Just my two bits.

Can some explain to me why some auctions say "no reserve" but there is a minimum price that it forces you to use?

I emailed ebay about this and got back a "thank you for your concern..." form letter.

John

I'm assuming you are the first bidder?

The seller sets the starting price. For example - I have some kits on eBay for a $6.00 starting price with no reserve. To buy the kit from me all you have to do is bid $6.00 and if no-one bids on it - it is yours.

If you get into a bidding war - that is a different story. You just have to bid more than the last guy at the end of the auction. :)

Or are you talking about when you want to enter a bid (example - the current high bid is $15.00 )and there is a caption that says "enter a bid of $15.50 or more"?

I am unsure how eBay sets how much higher the next bid needs to be than the last. I would think that it has to do with the amount of the auction and interest in the item.

Even after typing all this I'm not sure I addressed your question. :huh:

My 2 cents, as a buyer and seller in the past.

2) Sellers who want to cover their cost for boxes, packaging, etc. are not true "sellers". Try not to buy from amature shippers.

I am an amateur seller and shipper on eBay. I take some offense to your anti-endorsement of those who casually sell on eBay. Especially the line -"Try not to buy from amateur shippers".

I know I am a rarity. I don't put high asking prices on my auctions - I put a complete kit(opened but not built) on for $6.00 to $9.00. No reserve. There are two charges on my auctions - the item and shipping - fair shipping. I thought about set rate shipping and making money on those who don't read far enough to figure out the "fine print", But that is unethical and just not how I do things. The only future changes I may make to ship my models is a $1.00 charge for my gas, boxes, tape, and time.

I try to charge fair shipping, but the last two kits I shipped - both Monogram 1/8 kits - I ate the shipping differences of about $1.50 per kit.

I'm not looking to scalp anyone. I'm just trying to thin my collection and offer kits to other hobbyists for a reasonable price so everyone can get what they want.

Amateur doesn't mean inept.

I understand everyone's complaints. I have the same issues with eBay - the final selling charges are nuts! But eBay has the greatest exposure to everyone on the planet. Other sites - while truly awesome - just don't get the traffic.

Ebay is big enough for all of us. I urge everyone to read the ENTIRE auction. Really find out what you are being charged for. Then make an informed, intelligent buying decision. Peace!

Sometimes I think the the bidders make there own bed though, I've been watching an opened AMT "Grave Digger" kit that was listed as starting at $9.95 with $9.10 ,would be cheaper to buy this one for 10 and pay the shipping at 10, then to pay the other auctions "buy it now" price of $25.00 plus $15.00 shipping. I just checked the auction last this morning and its been bid on 16 times and is up to $71.00, Is this really worth $81.00 shipped. I have been watching this because I collect Grave Digger stuff, but an open kit? What are the chances of the seller driving up the price them selves?

I buy and sell on the 'Bay' and as I am from over the water so to speak here are a few of my views:

To post a model(typical 1/25th scale for example) to the USA from England, the price I charge is around £10, somtimes a little more. This covers all postage and packing materials if I have to buy them. And yes I DO take into account that I have to take time to pack and take the items to the post office as I could be doing somthing else like watching TV, making models, reading a motorcycle magazine, or cooking dinner.

I also combine items to a fair degree and adjust pricing within reason.

Many dealers from the USA use some kind of postage estimator, as to send a 1/25 scale model to the UK list postage well in the $30 bracket when in the past I have had kits sent for around $12-15. I do imagine postage prices have risen but to what? I used to use a US postal service website to estimate postage and items were usually about the quoted pricestaking into account packing and going to the post office.

Well I will be listing some models soon(Monogram Sport Coupe for example) and all you will pay are my reasonable postage fees, probably about £10

To the member that says we(non dealers) are amature sellers, you are right, as I hold down a day to day job. I post out my items within a day or two of listing end and list whenever I can. If you would rather buy from pro dealers then let them bid on my items and you can then pay for the same item with their premium on top! :(

Finally, yes I think eBay has had its day for bargains, sometimes you get them sometimes you dont. Sometime back I scored a great JoHan 1960 Cadillac for $1.00 and postage of only $12 to the UK. How? the seller had typed Johann Caddillac :D in the description. Now eBay has its own spell checker in its search engine haha.

Cheers, John

I have seen the same inflated shipping costs. When I sell on ebay I try to ship for as reasonable as possible, usually $7 or $8. And that will get most models anywhere in the US. It really tourques me to see shipping for $20 when I know its alot less.

I don't know if it my imagination or not but I see the starting prices rising on many models and that is I would submit, a result of Ebay's greed and gouging on listing fees and commissions. When I started selling on Ebay, I believe that it cost .05 cents to list an item with a starting price of under $10.00. I do not recall what the comission fees were but they were A LOT LESS than they are now and sellers had a lot more freedom to move on prices and listing was really a very simple procedure. Today, it is cumbersome and complicated with this stupid having to post a shipping cost on each auction unless you are selling just one type and size of merchandise. They say that they did that to stop people shafting others with shipping charges but as usual, Ebay's policys do little to curb dishonest sellers.

We quit listing anything when our sales success rate ( percentage of items that were listed that sold - ALMOST ALL with multipole bids by the way ) fell from between 80% and 90% to 30% on a good night. So do the math - you list 100 items for $9.99 and it costs you $50.00 in listing fees. If 30 of those items sell with just one bid, you have $300.00. Now take the listing fees plus the comissions off and you are spending an awful lot of time for the sake of making a few dollars.

Selling the same sort of items such as models is not too bad because you can gauge what the box size will be but we were selling used auto parts and so each item would have to be boxed, measured and weighed and a cost calculated. Now try packaging 100 items of varying sizes, shapes and weights and doing the work on each one to figure shipping costs - it just is NOT worth it. The problem with this weight calculation is it can frighten potential buyers off. Why? Because - how do you give a blanket shipping quote that in my case, will not overcharge a potentil customer in Spokane, WA. and yet will cover the costs to Tampa Bay? I can go and pick grapes in a vineyard and make a much better living than I can on Ebay with my car parts now - without the grief of hassling with a corporatrion who is indifferent to my concerns, needs and feelings.

Ebay has been quite the succesful venture - in driving private, part time sellers away. I don't have any love for the corporatrion and their mindset of changing Ebay from a flea market image to one of an online store, nor do I have any respect for them as a member of the business community. They got 'wayyyyyyy too big too fast and in the process, they became arrogant and controlling. Forcing sellers to use Pay Pal as the only means of payment should never have been allowed - in fact, I think that it was Australia or New Zealand whop told them that such a practice was illegal. Could it possibly be that maybe too many politicians here in North America have Ebay shares and that's why it is OK here?

So for me, it is just a sort of convenient venue through which I can obtain some things that I want. I will never use that site to try to sell anything again - because of their stupid rules and their attitude towards their sellers. That is just my opinion.

And by the way - as for the "amateur sellers" - THEY were the people who ogave Ebay their start - not the commercial, "professionals". For many of us. it was a novel and good way to suppliment our income - a means of turning stuff that was laying around into a few dollars and having fun while doing so. Without getting political - this is just a personal observation, but it's pretty scarey to see meg Whitman running for political office - if she does her job if she is elected like she did when she was running Ebay - then heaven help those who live in her state. And the guy who is now running Ebay isn't a bit better IMHO. Sorry for the rant and it is not meant to be Ebay bashing - just telling it as I see it.. hope I didn't spit in anyone's cornflakes with what I have said - it's just my opinion. :);):)

Sometimes I think the the bidders make there own bed though, I've been watching an opened AMT "Grave Digger" kit that was listed as starting at $9.95 with $9.10 ,would be cheaper to buy this one for 10 and pay the shipping at 10, then to pay the other auctions "buy it now" price of $25.00 plus $15.00 shipping. I just checked the auction last this morning and its been bid on 16 times and is up to $71.00, Is this really worth $81.00 shipped. I have been watching this because I collect Grave Digger stuff, but an open kit? What are the chances of the seller driving up the price them selves?

Most likely it is two Ebay amateurs bidding on what they think is the last one in the world. :D

I have seen the same inflated shipping costs. When I sell on ebay I try to ship for as reasonable as possible, usually $7 or $8. And that will get most models anywhere in the US. It really tourques me to see shipping for $20 when I know its alot less.

You are right - A single kit can be shipped for around 8 dollars to some places.

I won't ship that way. The reason is this. A few years ago I thought I would save some pennies and I shipped a kit that sold for $75 with no insurance and no tracking. The kit was lost somewhere around Philadelphia. I had to refund the $75. I was out a kit.

I like to ship using UPS Ground because by the time you add insurance and tracking to USPS shipping the cost is almost the same. It comes out to about $10 - give or take the location being shipped to.

The only way I would ship using the cheapest USPS service would be if the buyer insisted and took all responsibility.

i think ebay is great and buy and sell there all the time.

heres the secret: if the price is too high, move on. the market determines the price or the item doesnt sell. its simple. just like the bus, if you miss this one, another one will be along in a moment (much like girlfriends too, might i add). but the basic rule is: if its too expensive just ignore it, and remember to include shipping in your calculation of price, and, this one will surprise you sometimes, tax if youre buying from the same state the seller is in.

Yeah, I've been looking for a new Olfa knife since I discovered they don't make my blades anymore (I ordered blades thinking they fit my handle, but they're too big, so I decided to just buy the handle they do fit in), found one that retails for about $12 for $4.95 + $1.95 so I scooped it up. I tend to stick to Buy it Now's, instead of auctions.

I really like eBay now that they make you list shipping up front.

Shill bidding can also be a problem with pushing up the price but can backfire on the seller.

If I really want something I often stick my highest bid in one go. Example; A vintage Suzuki badge I wanted, probably worth around $10, so I put in the most I want to pay as I really want it and bid $25. Not a fortune but enough for a first bid, then I watch it creep up in 50c or $1 bids. If I think that it is being shill bidded I withdraw my bid, if I think they have out shilled themselves and won the item :blink: They may give me the old second chance offer which I will decline.

I also somtimes get bidders making me an offer to finish the auction with their own buy it now offers, I usually refuse but tell them to bid their max in one go! I have been accused of now setting a holding bid (on a G1 USN leather jacket) and actually got reported to eBay as my bidder put in a fair full price bid for the jacket as he would not be able to final second bid on it.

Seems you cannot win on eBay, they make their rules for themselves, I once had a 3 day ban for selling a Hausser Elastolin figure of Adolf Hitler giveng a nazi salut. I was told I was not allowed to sell items relating or depicting racism or hate though this is a historical toy and not something that could stir up racial hatred.

John

From a guy who used to buy/sell collectibles on ebay, most people who charge the outrageous shipping charges are inexperienced users who have no concept of how an auction works. Always start low and if the item truly is worth something on the market that is based on supply and demand, it will sell for what it is worth. I think they also forget that it is cheaper to initially list the item with a lower starting bid.

As for the inflated shipping, some people have no clue how that calculator works. To be fair it isn't very intuitive, but there are definitely some weasels who like to gouge shipping because they're weasels. But for the most part there are still more deals that ripoffs. It's too bad that a guy has to sift through the ripoffs to find the deals.

I don't use ebay much anymore for anything. It got to the point where the fees and policies made selling stuff more hassle than it is worth. I only log on if there is something I want to buy that can't be found in a local store. I don't use Craigslist or Kijiji only because those sites give me the hebejeebies.

does UPS still include the no-charge, completely complimentary, mandatory hole in the box from having something rammed through it?

ive always considered that one of their best features. and it pretty much never fails to arrive so.

the USPS treats me well.

Yup, ebay is not what it used to be. I've seen shipping up to $40 for a kit to ship here in Canada :)

I also saw some people tearing kits to sell the parts, and then want $20 bucks for the wheels and tires, $15 for the body,...

There are still good deals from time to time tho...

Just as you have stated, I think some people do "tear" the kits just to make money....but I really think a lot of them are just trying to get some money back on the kits they had used for parts, bodies, chassis...etc. A lot of people have salvaged kits, that can probably make a complete kit, by just buying a body or chassis.

The only time they will get a ridiculous price for something, is if someone is willing to pay for it.

I would like to know how JimnOhio can ship kits for $5.50 -$6.00 anywhere in the US using UPS. I have a UPS daily account, for over 15yrs now and a 1 lb package from AZ to Cleveland OH is $11.13 published rate (what ebay uses) and cost me $8.36. If it were sent to a rural area it's over $10.00 my cost. Priority Mail is $8.60 plus $1.75 insurance.

For one kit, in the right size box...we can ship to anywhere USA for max of $5.44 actual cost USPS Priority (not UPS). For 2 or more it varies greatly. For us, this is our way of offering a discount for mulitple purchases. Obvioulsy, when someone orders 4 kits in AZ it costs us more than $6.00 to ship.

UPS is the best rate when the package gets large or over 5 lbs.

Edited by jimnohio

I am an amateur seller and shipper on eBay. I take some offense to your anti-endorsement of those who casually sell on eBay. Especially the line -"Try not to buy from amateur shippers".

I know I am a rarity. I don't put high asking prices on my auctions - I put a complete kit(opened but not built) on for $6.00 to $9.00. No reserve. There are two charges on my auctions - the item and shipping - fair shipping. I thought about set rate shipping and making money on those who don't read far enough to figure out the "fine print", But that is unethical and just not how I do things. The only future changes I may make to ship my models is a $1.00 charge for my gas, boxes, tape, and time.

I try to charge fair shipping, but the last two kits I shipped - both Monogram 1/8 kits - I ate the shipping differences of about $1.50 per kit.

I'm not looking to scalp anyone. I'm just trying to thin my collection and offer kits to other hobbyists for a reasonable price so everyone can get what they want.

Amateur doesn't mean inept.

The comment was intended to be a generalization. Of course there are good amature shippers. I was giving general advice for the OP.

For example: I see guys who only ship Mon and Thurs because they don't want to go to the post office everyday. Well....USPS and UPS both offer pick up service. You only have to hand the package to your driver (or any driver for that matter). Your daily mailman will take your package if you use USPS.

From a guy who used to buy/sell collectibles on ebay, most people who charge the outrageous shipping charges are inexperienced users who have no concept of how an auction works. Always start low and if the item truly is worth something on the market that is based on supply and demand, it will sell for what it is worth. I think they also forget that it is cheaper to initially list the item with a lower starting bid.

As for the inflated shipping, some people have no clue how that calculator works. To be fair it isn't very intuitive, but there are definitely some weasels who like to gouge shipping because they're weasels. But for the most part there are still more deals that ripoffs. It's too bad that a guy has to sift through the ripoffs to find the deals.

I don't use ebay much anymore for anything. It got to the point where the fees and policies made selling stuff more hassle than it is worth. I only log on if there is something I want to buy that can't be found in a local store. I don't use Craigslist or Kijiji only because those sites give me the hebejeebies.

Very well said, and I agree with you on all points...except: I do check out Craigslist from time to time. For model kits, construction related items, and other major items i may buy used. We got a set of neew tires on TT's for my son's Mustang for 1/2 price (for example).

I will still offer Free Shipping & start my auctions a bit higher to compensate for it. I don't fine it deceitful or misleading at all. I don't feel that It's underhanded. It eliminates a lot of the "fine Print" you see regarding shipping. I'm certainly not an "amateur" as far as shipping goes. I just like to know, up front, what is the bottom line. That's what we are all after right?

I also like this method of listing...BUT, the closing fees are based on the actual amount the item sells for, so that guy who sold his item for $11.50 and charged $8.50 shipping pays fees on $11.50, on the other hand you pay fees on $20.00! Multiply that by 50-100 items that some power sellers are listing, and well...you get the idea.