Model Cars Magazine Forum

33 Ford Coupe On The Workbench

chuckinredneck

Currently on my workbench is a 33 Ford Coupe which had started life as a ZZ Top Eliminator. This model was built and setting on the shelf when a bunch of finished models were dumped on the floor. The 33's chassis was broken and the hood was never found. What was left of the kit was put into a box and sat on a shelf for many years. Recently a a model swap meet I bought a box of parts of the Thom Taylor Roadster kit, there were parts from 2 models in the box but not enough to build a complete model. I started putting some parts together and came up with an idea

33Fordcoupe001.jpg

I found some tires from a Monogram sprint car as well as the fuel Injection and manifold. I cut the floor boards and crossmembers out of one of the frames then I narrowed the front end. In the next picture you can see the difference in the 2 chassis.

33Fordcoupe014a.jpg

The next step was to make some new cross members to fit a small block chevy and modern automatic transmittion.

I still wasn't happy with the way the coupe sat so I "Z'ed" the rear of the chassis , then I started building the floor boards from sheet styrene and the tranny hump from a 37 Ford Sedan. Engine mouts were also fabricated from styrene

33Fordcoupe054.jpg

Here is were I'm at now. I still have a lot of work to do yet

33Fordcoupe065.jpg

Chuck J

I removed the shocks that were molded as part of the front axle and then made new shocks and mounts. The shocks were made from aluminum tubing and the mounts were made with styrene.

33Fordcoupe067a.jpg

The body sat in Purple Power for 4 days to get the old paint off. The silver was the hardest to get off

33Fordcoupe070a.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to use purple with yellow flames for the paint job

33Fordcoupe072a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt, I was going to give the ture flames or live flames a try on this build, If it don't work I've got the purple lake I can throw it in. I've been taking a break from the body now that it's in primer.

33Fordcoupe087.jpg

On the engine I got the plug wires, fuel lines to the injectors, and stacks done. The headers I thought would fit between the frame rails won't fit so I have to come up with some thing different thereAlso the fan belt assembly I was going to use won't fit under the hood so that has to be changed

33Fordcoupe085a.jpg

The purple on the valve covers is what I'm using on the body. At this rate I might be done by next year, LOL

Chuck J

Some things just don't turn out the way you hope they would. The headers were suppose to be inside the frame rails and the body was to be smooth down the sides well they won't fit inside the frame and I couldn't find any that would. Now the headers are going to be over the frame and I'm going to lose the hood sides, so now comes the second problem I can't find any headers in my stash that go over the frame that I like. Now I'm tring to build a set of headers from aluminum tubing.

33Fordcoupe105a.jpg

Getting the first bend isn't that hard to do.

33Fordcoupe111a.jpg

It's the second bend that is giving me trouble.

33Fordcoupe114a.jpg

As you can see I've made several attempts LOL

33Fordcoupe108a.jpg

Chuck J

Guest zebm1

I think Replicas and minatures, those Maryland boys have a set of SBC block hugger headers....yu might check with Lyle Willits. Or maybe it waz Marc of Motorsports.....