Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Boyz at Toledo NNL

arick

How about a report from someone who attended the Toledo NNL. I'm particularly interested in the state of "large scale" at the bigger shows. In addition to the folks at TDR, is anyone else getting into the large scale aftermarket? Any comments from the TDR booth?

Thanks!!!

Rick, as you know Tim ( Daytona Tim )and I ( MADD FABRICATOR ) had a couple of tables set up in the vendors area to promote the TDR " goodies" and a few of the 1/8th scale fiberglass which the MADD FABRICATOR produces and sells through TDR. The response from those who stopped at our tables was very overwhelming to say the least. Most of the modelers weren't familiar with the Rapid Prototype processes we use to create the parts or the way in which the fiberglass bodies are produced. Lots of time was spent informing the modelers of these two distinct processes. We got great reviews from all who saw what we are doing to help the " biggie" modelers of the universe. Lots of great information was exchanged in regards to future products that may be in the offering as well as ideas on how we can improve upon what we have already created.

It looks like from all the feedback which we received, TDR is headed in the right direction.

Many of the modelers we talked to expressed much disatisfaction with todays manufactures in that they don't seem to want to listen to new ideas for new and different kits in large scale. They just seem to want to keep reissuing the same stuff year after year, and wonder why the factory "bean counters" are unhappy about lack of sales. Thankfully we at TDR are not tied to a " bean counters" apron string, but are able to create products that the modelers really want.

Although the interest in big scale is alive and well, the size of these models and the amount of work required to detail a large scale model to competition quality is more than many modelers are willing to spend time on. We at TDR are working diligently to ensure that new and exciting products continue to be made available for those wishing to work in the larger scales.

Thanks to all who stopped by our tables and expressed an interest in our products.

I've attached a couple of photos of our vendors tables for your viewing pleasure.

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!

post-5754-076110700 1287629850_thumb.jpg

post-5754-052191300 1287629914_thumb.jpg

post-5754-010074900 1287630268_thumb.jpg

LOL........MF........You just had to post that last pic didn't you??!!

Now you guys know why I just want to stay in the back room and do the modeling.......

Well, MF just about said it all.

I will add though that it was sure fun to watch the faces of people when they finally understood how our products are manufactured. Their eyebrows would shoot up and their mouth would drop open just a little bit. Then the questions would start flowing.........It was really fun!

You guys had a nice set-up there!

Nice to be able to put a face to the names of you guys as you should be recognized for all your hard work (even if you don't like the photo Tim)!

I own several pieces made by TDR but I have never had the chance to see what MF has ever done but always would hear about your work, now I can say you have done an awsome job making those bodies - true works of art!!!!!

Keep up the work all of you at TDR!

David

I can speak to the quality of the MF bodies. I've been purchasing them for over ten years. My first was a 32 three window and my most recent purchases have been Willys coupes and a T turtle deck. I'm also in line for one of the Anglia's. MF bodies are accurate, strong and most importantly, they are even thickness throughout.

This is getting down right funny.......'bout the only TDR guy you haven't seen at one time or another is Tony. He's one of the partners involved with TDR but doesn't say much publicly. When he does, it's usually in the form of of things like the heater (engine) for the Roadster. Just for those that are concerned about even posting their real names on MCM's forum....here's a current pic of my mug. I earned the nose flat trackin' Harley's on a dirt track.

Donmcm010-1.jpg

Can you post some info on the 41 Willys?

AzTom, I hope to have pictures on the forum along with the vital measurements of all the bodies that I currently can produce. I need to take some current photos, so stay tuned for your answer. Once I can get everything organized they will also be listed and shown in the TDR website catalog. I'm hoping that I can have them uploaded by Sunday evening. I've got a couple of family priorities to take care of first.

STAY TUNED !!!!!

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!! Dick Zimmerman ( aka MF )

I can speak to the quality of the MF bodies. I've been purchasing them for over ten years. My first was a 32 three window and my most recent purchases have been Willys coupes and a T turtle deck. I'm also in line for one of the Anglia's. MF bodies are accurate, strong and most importantly, they are even thickness throughout.

Rick, thanks for the kind words on the quality of the fiberglass bodies. As you well know, these are not done in a SLAM-BAM way. I take my time hand laying up the gel coat, cloth, and polyester resin with the intent of giving the modeler the best body available. As a side note, at the present time I do not keep an inventory of bodies on hand, but produce each one on an as ordered basis, thus the intended 2-3 week time period between ordering and shipping. This lead time also allows me to communicate with the buyer as to any special needs on how they want the body , ie; firewall installed, stock opening hood or a tilt style front clip, gasser style, on the Willy's and soon to be Anglia. That's something you don't get with the big time plastic kit manufactures.

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!!! Dick Zimmerman, (aka MF )

• 2 weeks later...