Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using the Purple Pond - Advice Please!

I have always used Easy Off spray on oven cleaner for stripping models but it has to be used outdoors because of the odour and fumes let off by the product. So being as how so many guys seem to find that Purple Power works well, I bought some awhile ago and now want to strip some old built ups that I have bought. I know that the length of time that the model is immersed will vary depending on how much paint is on it but can anyone tell me how long it will take to strip a model that has only been painted once? Would you leave the model in the solvent overnight or for just a few hours? Any advice and suggestions will be appreciated. :DB)B)

Edited by impcon

It also has a lot to do with the temp of the pond. If you leave it in the garage and its cold it will take forever. I keep it in a 5 gal bucket with a lid and when I strip something I bring the bucket into the basement bathroom. Black enamel seems to take the longest to come off. silver and chrome will come off in an hour. It helps to stir the "soup" every once and a while.

i didn't ever think of temperature affecting its potential. i stripped four kits' chrome trees last weekend. unopened but probably 6 month old "super clean purple" gallon. revell chrome gone in 15 minutes. dumped cleaner, put remaining trees back in. AMT double T kit chrome gone in about 2 hours - some pesky spots but i waited it out. AMT double dragster kit took a third clean batch of solvent and about 6 hours to disappear. all kits new issue.

In my experience it takes off multiple coats of lacquer within a few hours. You can peel it off in big, gooey sheets. Enamel takes a while longer and requires more work to get it out of all the crevices. Acrylic, on the other hand, doesn't seem to come off at all. I left some pieces painted with water-based acrylic in for a week and it was stuck on just as well as when I'd put them in the fluid.

I am generally in no hurry when I put a body or parts in the purple pond. I usually just throw them in and leave them till I remember them or at least until the next weekend.I have had some, though, where I turned around and pulled them out the next day and cleaned the paint off with running water and a toothbrush.I haven't had any problems with acrylics coming off, but then again I generally leave it in for a week or more.