Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing Chrome trim.

DRG

I have been wanting to try trimming out the chrome on the models I build. I bought some cheap aluminum foil and started messing around with it on the chrome trim on some door panels. I am amazed at how great it looks and how easy, well not really hard, it is to do.

But as always one question, at least, arises.

How in the heck to I attack it to the door panel. Getting glue on just the window crank seems to be a study in futility.

Help!!

I think bare metal foil is the best thing for small things like that. But if you use the alunimum, get some of this.

metalfoilad.jpg

Bottle says it can be watered down. Don't. Use dry brush or it will be too runny and pool up. I have used the spray adhesive before but I sprayed it into a bottle cap and brushed it on. Worked better for me.

Donald ,

Bite the proverbial bullet ... Buy the new improved bare metal foil chrome along with a pack of Squadron surgical blades . While you are at the hobby shop , pick up a few packs of the Tamiya applicator swabs in the various sizes . Cut the back side of the surgical blade off with a pair of side cutters , it will then slide right into your # 11 exacto blade holder .

Cut a piece of foil larger than the area you are covering , burnish it down with the Tamiya applicator , take you knife blade and lightly trace along your chrome piece . Peel off the excess and reburnish your chrome area . You will be very pleased with the results ! Cheaper is never better ! It always comes back to bite you right square in your hind parts .

Donn Yost

I've had pretty good luck with the homemade foil. I can never get Bare Metal to work because it's so thin, it always does things I don't want it to do, like tear.

The kitchen foil takes some tinkering, but works well with some practice. One suggestion I will make is don't skimp on using the adhesive, use plenty, but don't go too overboard, either.

Charlie Larkin