Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Double Dragster Twin SBC Rail

Dennis Lacy

I had actually never heard of AMT’s vintage Double Dragster kit until all the buzz started happening about its re-issue about a year ago and a few people dug out their vintage parts and built a few examples. I was very intrigued and purchased a tin box right as they hit the shelf. I’ve been waiting patiently until I finished several other projects so that I could get started. Preliminary clean-up and sub assembly began in mid-August then I got distracted. A couple weeks ago I decided I had put it off long enough and focused on finishing the twin small block rail. Initially I planned to use the dual front mount blowers but every twin engine rail I have seen built so far was using them too. So, I opted to be different and went with the more basic fuel injectors.

The build is entirely box-stock. All of the chrome parts were stripped as I wasn’t very happy with the inconsistent condition of the chrome tree. The body was finished in Tamiya Chrome Yellow. The engines, front and rear mount plates are Tamiya Light Gunmetal with the small parts in various shades of Metalizer’s. The wheels are finished in Model Master “Jet Exhaust†with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear to replicate the Dow-7 coating used on 60’s magnesium wheels. The chassis is finished in Tamiya Gloss Black with a few bits detailed with Metalizer’s.

This was a really simple and, more importantly, FUN project!

IMG_6196.jpg

IMG_6197.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

B)