Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint removal with that purple stuff?

Same, same. Full strength and it doesn't seem to matter (in my experience) whether you're using the WalMart housebrand version (PurplePower) or the full $$ Super Clean version, they both work great. Length of time in the purple pond doesn't seem to matter, but as it gets older it seems to take a little longer. You can tell it's time to change if your purple pond seems slightly cloudy or sludge-y.

It also works great for stripping chrome.

Much less slimey than brake fluid, much less stinky and hazardous than oven cleaner, and much easier to use (just rinse it, no serious scrubbing necessary) both.

Ten thumbs up for purpleness!

B)

Depends on the finish. Reds and blacks seem to take the longest, especially if they're old. Silver seems to be a problem, too. I've had some come of in a matter of hours, others had to soak for much longer. It does work best if it's fresh and at least at room temp. Remember to rinse the parts afterwards. I like to give them a dip in 91% alcohol to get any residue off.

Personally, I use the Superclean, as I can get it for less that Purple Power at the local Menards. It's less about paint stripping and more about using it for its intended purpose as a degreaser/floor cleaner. There is a strength difference. If I can find it in a gallon jug, I would like to try Valvoline Cartoclean (yes, that the actual name) degreaser. We've been using it at the shop, it's definetly srtonger than either Superclean or Purple power. Tried an experiment with a pop can, ate it in under an hour. The other two would amybe etch it a bit, but not completely dissove it in that time. I don't belive it's on the market for non-commercial use, though.

• 1 month later...

Dollar Tree has this yellow stuff that comes in a spray bottle that is every bit as effective as any of the purple/green cleaners. It's only...get this...a dollar! Much cheaper and, you get this nifty plastic spray bottle that will hold up to years of use, the best I've ever used. It's called, "Simply Awesome".