Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sweet Model score from the Goodwill

Hey all- Thought I would share.

I have a Goodwill outlet near me that I get model stuff from quite often. For anyone who doesnt know wha a goodwill outlet center is, basically they have huge bins in the building and you walk around with a trashcan on wheels. Fill it up and pay $1.19 per pound no matter what is in the can. finding a big pile of models there is actually what got me back into model building.

Anyway

Todays score was a complete "Spawn" vinyl Model kit, A 1/24 Ferrari model and 10 clear plastic cases that fit 1/24 models in them perfect.

The spawn kit had what looked like some mildew on the parts. I scrubbed em with soapy water and an old toothbrush and everything cleans up fine.

The Ferrari is missing the rims and a smally part of the motor- Nothing I cant find on my parts bin.

I picked up a few other non-model things and the total for all of it was $13.00

I sure do love m Goodwill!

post-5239-055743500 1290144643_thumb.jpg

post-5239-013929500 1290144662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Radio Joe

I don't know of a Goodwill that does the "per pound" thing but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the thrift stores! Goodwill, Savers, and the little independants. In the last year I have scored a Tamiya tank, AMT 68 GTX, #9 Bill Elliott Dodge Nascar ( The one with the good wheels ) several planes, a few Corvettes, 58 Chevy belair, so many and the most I ever paid for any one kit was $5 bucks. Now I need to find a local per pound outlet! :P

I love savers, I couldn't believe my eyes when I went in tonight. There was a dale earnhardt earlier model nascar a mark martin #6, 72 corvette, some guy just ahead of me got a factory sealed 37 or 39 ford truck couldn't see the last number. I picked the 1/6 chevy engine(sealed) and some other guy got a 1/4 Hemi.

I would say I come across model car parts around once per month. I visit twice a week.

The funny part is watching me dig for them. See when people before me dig through the bins, the boxes wind up opening up... and all the parts wind up inside the bin. so I have to dig to find all the tiny little parts. Which I dont mind, what sux is when you are looking for one part you know is missing never to find it. It most likely wasnot in the box originally so you have been digging for something you will never find B)

I visit the thrift stores all the time, never seen anymodels. B)

I like the spawn kit. wanna trade?.LOL. I check these type stores and also find nothing in the model subject.You guys are lucky!

You have to keep going back, and back, and back, and again lol.

I talked to someone at one of our local savers and he said usually model kits never make it to the shelf because of them being opened and they usually donate to some organization if they do not put them on the shelf. So here its rare to find them.

I've done quite a few thrift store runs since getting into the hobby a month ago. Pickings have been slim so far (Rolls Royce, Space Shuttle and Corvette all I've found in 20 or so visits.) I did see a huge bag full of train stuff at a Goodwill, but knowing nothing about trains nor being interested in them I passed it by. Plus I'm sure it would have been $30+ even if it was garbage since Goodwill prices can often be ridiculous on things they think are valuable.

I also quit shopping at Goodwill after a friend who used to volunteer there told me how the employees who go through the donations in the back set aside the good stuff so they can buy it.

Edited by Mr. Show

My girlfriend and I went to the goodwill bins last weekend and a little girl about 7 or 8 reached into a bin pulled out a pair of fake teeth and shoved them right in her mouth, probably the grossest thing I have seen in a while.

I have only found model airplanes at goodwill, never any cars but I check antique shops often and I have found quite a few kits for cheep, generally not any thing I really want to build but $5 for a kit, you can't go wrong

Edited by sobpinstriping

omg I love the Goodwill store here, I have a friend that works there and they hold whatever car/truck models they get in for me. So far I've gotten a Stingray III Concept, an AMT Dodge Challenger convt, and a big bag of car bodies & spare parts. Actually just got back today with some really nice wall pictures and picture frames that I'll be redoing as abstract art for my walls lol.

Joe, I'm at the Goodwill center here in RichmondVirginia all the time . I've yet to see model kits though. I however have bought plastic tubing and a lot of great scratchbuilding supplies . Then too, if ya go through pants the way I do , check out the clothing bins too. Ed Shaver

Here in Kingston we have a Salvation Army and Value Village, never found anything at the Salvation Army thrift store, but the value village i have found a Monogram Countach, AMT 67 GTO, AMT 93 Firebird, XXX Corvette, and a 40 Woody Wagon, all priced $3.99 that was all in the same week, so from time to time i go back and see what is there.