Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMEX 1/12 and 1/9 motorcycles

Harry are these oob or have you added to them,if so how much?

Top photo: all I added was painted whitewalls and the studs on the seat (they are the heads of straight pins).

Middle photo: OOB

Bottom photo: Lengthened the fork with chrome plated brass tubing (from a telescopic antenna off an old broken TV set!), angled the fork for a slight "chopper" look, exhaust extensions with more tubing from the same antenna, studs on the seat same as in top photo.

And of course all are paint-detailed too.

(BTW... the springer fork on the Harley in the bottom photo really works, the kit is engineered that way.)

Here's another one:

harley2.jpg

I added the studs on the seat and saddle bags same as on the other two Harleys, added a mud flap and fringe on the seat (just a piece of paper with the fringes cut into it) and painted whitewalls. All the rest is OOB except for the usual paint and foil detailing.

Beautiful kits indeed.

IMEX US reboxed those great kits for North American market back in early 90's.

The 1/12th HD kits were Japanese IMAI kits, very nice kits(IMAI also boxed the Protar 1/9 HD kits for domestic Japanese market only, back in early 90's.

The 1/9th HD kits were Italian PROTAR, kits, again beautiful kits as expected by PROTAR, remember getting the FXSTS Softail, FLSTN Heritage (white walls) & the FLSTF "Fat Boy", back in 1993, all beautiful when completed. 6 or 7 kit versions were made by Protar & boxed by IMEX. Those Protar 1/9th kits are really nice.

As far as I am concerned, the IMEX 1/12 scale kits are some of the better Harley kits out there. Compared to Revells attempts with their 'Choppers' line (which seem bigger than 1/12th when set next to the IMEX kits), the IMEXs are much closer to looking like real Harleys.

With that said; the only two engines you have in the IMEX line are the cone-Shovel and the EVO........and the EVO engine is very inaccurate (as it uses the Shovel Tappet blocks, pushrod tubes, jugs, cylinder heads with 'add-on' squared-off rocker covers/upper fins, and intake/exhaust ports/oil pump. Also, the Trans used is the Ratchet-top which was not used but for 3-4 years. However, the trans can be converted with some work.

Harry,

Unusual subjects, beautifully done. A stagecoach, 4 Pochers, big bikes-quite a portfolio! When do you have time for all this?

:P

What I'm working on right now:

1/16 Ford Model A

Tugboat from 1915

A Civil-War era locomotive

and a 1/24 scale San Francisco cable car.

Yeah... I have "varied interests"... :)

Wow! That kit is amazing. I had never heard of that one before; I just assumed you were referring to the cheap little plastic glue kit that was knocking around again a year or so ago.

Thanks for sharing! Be sure we get to see the finite, perhaps even some in-progress shots; that looks like quite the project, Harry!

B)

• 4 years later...

Here's another one:

harley2.jpg

I added the studs on the seat and saddle bags same as on the other two Harleys, added a mud flap and fringe on the seat (just a piece of paper with the fringes cut into it) and painted whitewalls. All the rest is OOB except for the usual paint and foil detailing.

What type of pins did you use for the seat studs?