Model Cars Magazine Forum

OS giken 510

LAone

heres another project i have been working on for a long while. the kit is the revell tuner 510. i bought it roughly 10 years ago. i started on it, but didn't like how it was turning out. so it went into hibernation, now fast forward to feb 2010 and i start to fix what i had done 10 years ago.

just a quick run down.

DSCF1009-1.jpg

DSCF1013-1.jpg

DSCF5.jpg

DSCF12.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg

DSCF49.jpg

DSCF48.jpg

DSCF47.jpg

DSCF46.jpg

DSCF41.jpg

Edited by LAone

oooh mike, do i know that. ;) i'ts very extreme, but meets the oni-kyan (demon camber) look. im bringing shakotan, oni-kyan and hippari with this build. what does all that mean, google for some images. <(for the curious mind)

dave, for this one. i am going to try to show tire wear. it's gonna be tough to get it flat towards the middle, bit im gonna try.

very cool! i'm with Mike, alot of people arent going to get the wicked amount of negative camber but i think it's cool. something that will help with making it look better will be to sand some flat spots into the bottoms of the tires where they contact the ground so it looks like the weight of the car is on them. you may end up sanding alot of tire away but it really changes the look. try and get at least from the middle of the tire to the back edge to sit flat if you can.

dont you mean the sidewall of the tires ? :angry:

i gotta admit, im one of the people who hate this look on the 1:1 cars but you did a great job replicating it, so that gets a thumbs up

While this is most certainly not my style of full-sized build (the 510 is, the WAY-TOO-GOOFY to be anything functional camber isn't), I can appreciate the work that goes into a build like this. Smoothing and squaring the engine bay isn't easy to make look right, but when done right it adds so much to the cleanliness of the overall appearance. The cage looks very well laid out and planned for proper fit and I like it. The OS Giken has to be a FuJimmy resin unit as I don't know anyone else who has one or is crazy enought to build one from scratch! Cool swap so far.

thanks guys, i know for sure that there will be positive and negative vibes about this build. im not a softy, so the negative wont get me down.. :blink: so heres a small update.

007.jpg

stripped the chrome off. kinda got the look im going for. just not so gray. gonna give it used look.

008.jpg

rear and front brakes, from an R33 kit

009.jpg

started on the header, runner one and two. there are not that many pics of it, so i made what kinda looked like the one i saw.

010.jpg

011.jpg

re-worked the exhaust to a more subtle type

012.jpg

then this came to mind. it's like a diffuser type of thing that is used on some shakotan style cars. pretty much like an upside down wing.

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Edited by LAone

• 2 weeks later...

thanks nick B)

so, i haven't really done a lot to it. xmas weekend was just lazy! went to sleep late and woke up late, like half the day late. B)

so i just did some prepping for details. like lines and fittings. the engine bay is pissing me off again. but it's coming along ok. i got the wheels to stop wiggling around so they are set. made glued the strut arms to the control arms, made a rear sway bar, seperated the tranny from the L16 for the MAII, made a collector for the header , an adaptor sandwich for the oil cooler with return line fittin on oil pan, ill be using the "race" style pan on it and just some putty filling and sanding on the chassis.

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

024.jpg

thanks guys. :D

kanedge: the wheels are made by aoshima, these are the Techno TVR. they have several other kinds, like SSR MKI, MKII, MKII, long champs, reverse mesh, and so and so on. i get them through www.hwjapan.com

i have a bunch of j-tin classics that will pop up during the year. ;) might not finish them, but they'll be around.. B)

Wicked cool build up amigo! Someone made one sometime ago and looked really good! Im sure with the detail goin in yours should be outta the park as well. How common or hard is it to get this kit! Any info would help being that im trying to build a corolla to sit on the dashboard of my 82 1.8 at our local meets!Its a far cry but some shaving filling and modifying I think I can pull it off!

thanks for posting this really cool project!

peace

ajulia

Wicked cool build up amigo! Someone made one sometime ago and looked really good! Im sure with the detail goin in yours should be outta the park as well. How common or hard is it to get this kit! Any info would help being that im trying to build a corolla to sit on the dashboard of my 82 1.8 at our local meets!Its a far cry but some shaving filling and modifying I think I can pull it off!

thanks for posting this really cool project!

peace

ajulia

thanks bud. if its a 82 corolla your looking for, there is a kit out there already made. you have a TE72 right? a sedan?

thanks bud. if its a 82 corolla your looking for, there is a kit out there already made. you have a TE72 right? a sedan?

Hello there friend! Thanks for the reply! I thought about kitbashing the 510 to replicate my 1.8 2dr ht but youve giving me hope on finding a corolla kit! Where or which company offers this subject! Again thanks for the heads up on the info!!

Edited by ajulia

great to have this place back! ;)

hey bud, no problem on the heads up. the corolla is a aoshima kit. some what harder to find now. but they are out there. it's a 4 door with square lights. it's a nice kit. the chassi is motorized type, but still workable.. B)

so here is another update.

go some paint on some suspension parts and the body got a few rough coats of paints. the final color is not decided yet.

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

078.jpg

077.jpg

looks sick with the burnt brown/orange sprayed the way you did, im sure it wont stay that way but it would be a good "dirty" mud effect if you think about it lol. cant wait to see more as your one of the few building he same styles i like/prefer, and doing it ###### well at that!

• 1 month later...

well, i have been a bit under the weather lately ;) havent done much on this one, but heres a bit of an update. i painted the chassis, roll cage and front seats along with a couple of red circles. one on each side. but i had to stop there due to me running out of primer for other parts.. ;) oh well, gives me a chance to buy some plasti-kote.

004.jpg

005.jpg

hope to get this done soon. ;) thanks for looking