Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1956 Ford Victoria 'La Sombrera'

The Creative Explorer

Very cool paint on this 56 wow .. interesting job with the decals I can see why it would take an hour on each side. Can't wait to see this 56 done.

I built this kit along time ago. Loved this kit. Found it on a box at my moms house last week. She is in dire need of some TLC and some parts are missing. Maybe I try my first Rust job on her.

Thank you all for the replies!

@Mark; As you can see in the very first picture; I got a box with some parts and almost nothing on the tree's. I have read through the manual a couple of times and honestly, I never saw the (small) picture with the radiator top in it.

So thank you for pointing it out, I didn't install the wire just yet. But I will save some time and frustration now I know ahead. Good thing you did know the kit. B)

@Oldscool; I know, but it was actually a personal choice. I've never did a section before, so I had to stick it with the chop for now. I think when the wheels will come on, the car will be in balance and give the look I tried to get.

@TXdieseldog; I like the look of your stock '56. Nice color combo and I knew the '56 had some fitment issues. I keep dryfitting through the build. It is a must, especially when one does custom work to the body or chassis. I think my chassis is now quite straight and I never really saw the point of moving wheels. Poseable wheels are a nice touch, but again; I could do without. Actually, I am working on the wheels and suspension, I want to lower it by a lot. So there will be no moving wheels anyway.

@Brokentail; no. The rear-window is exactly the same as it was, just in a different angle and the windshield will be the same too, but angled and shortened. It all depends on how you chop the roof and what look are you trying to achieve.

When you lower a roof, you basically always have to modify the windows, since the top of the roof is smaller than the lower body. therefore the angle between the roof and body differs from the window when chopped.

With a gentle (warm!) bend, the windshield can be modified a little, usually enough. But I agree; the windows I find the trickiest when chopping.

Thank you all for the replies!

@Mark; As you can see in the very first picture; I got a box with some parts and almost nothing on the tree's. I have read through the manual a couple of times and honestly, I never saw the (small) picture with the radiator top in it.

So thank you for pointing it out, I didn't install the wire just yet. But I will save some time and frustration now I know ahead. Good thing you did know the kit. :unsure:

@Oldscool; I know, but it was actually a personal choice. I've never did a section before, so I had to stick it with the chop for now. I think when the wheels will come on, the car will be in balance and give the look I tried to get.

@TXdieseldog; I like the look of your stock '56. Nice color combo and I knew the '56 had some fitment issues. I keep dryfitting through the build. It is a must, especially when one does custom work to the body or chassis. I think my chassis is now quite straight and I never really saw the point of moving wheels. Poseable wheels are a nice touch, but again; I could do without. Actually, I am working on the wheels and suspension, I want to lower it by a lot. So there will be no moving wheels anyway.

@Brokentail; no. The rear-window is exactly the same as it was, just in a different angle and the windshield will be the same too, but angled and shortened. It all depends on how you chop the roof and what look are you trying to achieve.

When you lower a roof, you basically always have to modify the windows, since the top of the roof is smaller than the lower body. therefore the angle between the roof and body differs from the window when chopped.

With a gentle (warm!) bend, the windshield can be modified a little, usually enough. But I agree; the windows I find the trickiest when chopping.

Erik, thanks for the comments on my stock 56'. It is a tribute to a 1:1 that my older brother had. He and I did lots of work on it. He has since passed due to a brain tumor. He had the car from 1981 until about 1992 when the medical bills forced its selling. I would have loved to have taken it from him, but a no go on that. Good luck with the rest of your build. It's looking great.

Barry

Wow, This is an amazing buid Erik, you have certanly put a lot of work into this one! :lol: I love what you have done to the body, and the paintwork. Very detailed info on the buildup as well. Can't wait to see more. :D Its making me want to pull my old build apart and start again ;)

The work you've put into this is outstanding. I am curious though, the murals seem to be somewhat lost under that dark maroon paint. Do they show well in light?

This is wonderful. Not my style of build at all, but the workmanship is fantastic. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply guys;

@Adam, thanks!

@Androis; I think you missed the boat somewhere, this is by far not a oldscool dragcar :mellow:

@Charlie; yes, it does. When you see the car IRL, you noticed something under the paint, which makes you take a second look and see the mural.

@Walt; Thank you!

For tonight, this is my last update.

This build is riping well, it is close to be finished and I think it won't take long, I need to airbrush some parts, like the inner doorpanels and the radiator shroud. For the rest it is assembling and detailling.

I started to put La Sombrera on it's wheels, it does make it look a lot better, it gives the car its attitude.

victoria101.jpg

Then I started to work on the wiring, since it is custom, I omitted the distributor and made the wires to flow away nicely

victoria102.jpg

I added 2 gas-filters, the gas-line and the heating unit

victoria103.jpg

And I doubt on the filterhouse, on the left is the original part, on the right is a hubcap, and the hubcap seems to me a nice detail for a airfilter.

victoria104.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

This is just too cool! I build replica stock style, but really enjoy creative efforts like this. Back in the late '70s, I owned a 1:1 '56 Fairlane Town Sedan. This model was also the first AMT model I ever built in their great series of '50s cars. After building a Revell '57 Chevy from the era, the AMT's were a treat. I'm being transported in time to the late '60s, early '70s here. I've probably built six or more '56 Fords over the decades, and it will always rank as one of my favorite kits.

Thanks Jim, I do love the styling of the '56. I didn't care much for the '57 Ford, but that era is just so amazingly awesome designed. Together with the first halve of the '60's it is my favourite designera in carhistory for me.

the kit itself is in my opinion not that great, but like you said. It is a very old kit and taken that into account, it is very detailled and has some nice features. Especially when you take the AMT kits in mind with barely any engine detail, molded in detail and holes in the engine for the metal axles.