Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible

mrmike

This is one of the more recent additions to my stash and since I am building the Spenser For Hire '65 Mustang, I thought that I would build this one along side it as well. Yes, the box says it's a 1964 1/2 Mustang, but for all intents and purposes, this will be a 1965 Mustang convertible.

65Mustang01.jpg

My paint is Model Master Bright Calypso Metallic Lacquer. Not a 1965 color for the year, but one that I think will look good on this car and kinda close to Tropical Turquiose. I am planning on a white interior.

65Mustang02.jpg

I am using the wheels from the '65 Mustang 2+2 kit for this build.

65Mustang03.jpg

I want to add the exhaust tips through the rear valance panel which is something that is added to many rebuilt/restoration Mustangs.

More to come.....

Clay, I used Tamiya TS-21 Gold for the valve covers and air cleaner.

Nick, yes, this is a good kit! A little cleanup is needed on some parts, but so far there are no fitment issues.

After a light polishing, I cleared the body with Model Master Ultra Gloss Clear. I'll polish the clearcoat later.

65Mustang07.jpg

The motor on the right belongs to this Mustang. The motor on the left and the auto trans on the right, belong to my Spenser For Hire '65 Mustang.

65Mustang08.jpg

You are not seeing double! Since I am building two '65 Mustangs, I doubled up on parts prep and paint.

65Mustang09.jpg

More to come.....

I wanted to add the through the rear valance panel exhaust tips so I mockup the body, interior, chassis, and exhaust system. This looks good with the exhaust directly behind the mounting holes for the bumper guard pins.

65Mustang10.jpg

65Mustang11.jpg

Using my pin vise and a drill bit, I enlarged the hole. The final hole size was obtained by holding a drill with my fingers since the bit wouldn't fit my pin vise.

65Mustang13.jpg

With a piece of aluminium tubing for the exhaust tip.

65Mustang14.jpg

Someone, somewhere, gave me a bit of flack over not using red oxide on the chassis of a previous build. I broke down a bought a cheap can of red oxide primer for $2.99 at Pep Boys. My luck, I'll be told that it's not the correct shade of red oxide. To that I say, Too Bad!!!!! :)

65Mustang12.jpg

More to come.....

Why? Lately, I have a tendency of doing things out of order. Also, I am not afraid to drill into a freshly painted body as long as I am controlling the instrument. I know that if I am careful and work cautiously, nothing bad will happen. The best thing about this Mustang is that the pilot hole was already there and that made the job half done. And to quote Col. Hannibal Smith..."I love it when a plan comes together!"

The chassis has it's overspray.

65Mustang15.jpg

The front suspension is in need of lowering.

65Mustang16.jpg

I cut off the spindle from the suspension...

65Mustang17.jpg

and glue it on higher on the suspension. This should lower the nose of the car.

65Mustang18.jpg

I'll lower the rear of the Mustang by re-arching the rear springs or by shortening the mounting blocks.

More to come.....

With the holes in the valance opened up for the exhaust tips, I had to remove the bumper guards from the bumpers.

65Mustang19.jpg

I covered the cuts with chrome Bare Metal Foil.

65Mustang20.jpg

Since I had the foil out, I went and started foiling.

65Mustang21.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

I decided to strip and re-chrome the bumpers instead of foiling the cuts.

65Mustang22.jpg

I started painting other parts until I ran out of semi-gloss black spray paint. I'll use jar paint until I can get to my LHS.

65Mustang23.jpg

Motor work has resumed with the wiring of the kit distributor.

65Mustang24.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Clay! I'm glad that you find my build fascinating!

Thanks Nick and you are welcome!

I started on the motor this afternoon. When the glue has cured on the distributor, I'll run the plug wires and make a coil.

65Mustang25.jpg

Foiling is done.

65Mustang26.jpg

I attempted to make the bezels for the rear valance exhaust cutouts with BMF. It didn't turn too bad.

65Mustang27.jpg

More to come.....

A little more progress for today. I got the motor installed into the chassis.

65Mustang30.jpg

I got the tires mounted and the wheels detailed.

65Mustang31.jpg

I'm undecided about these. These are the knockoffs for the kit wheelscovers and maybe I'll mockup one to see if I like it.

65Mustang32.jpg

More to come.....

A little more progress for today. I got the motor installed into the chassis.

65Mustang30.jpg

I got the tires mounted and the wheels detailed.

65Mustang31.jpg

I'm undecided about these. These are the knockoffs for the kit wheelscovers and maybe I'll mockup one to see if I like it.

65Mustang32.jpg

More to come.....

MAN YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB ILL BE WATCHING ..HOPEFULLY I CAN GET MY MODEL BUILDING SKILLS TO THIS LEVEL THANKS FOR THE PICS

Thank you Walther! Give yourself time and a great deal of patience and you can develop the skills to do great work! Even though I had been building models for a very long time, it has been the last 5 years that I have been able to really develop my skills and I am still learning.

I've started in on the interior-dash, console, and front bucket seats.

65Mustang33.jpg

65Mustang34.jpg

65Mustang35.jpg

More to come.....

Since I am adding more underhood detail, I made a starter relay from 1/8th inch styrene rod and some red and black wires. I'll paint the relay semi-gloss black.

65Mustang36.jpg

The front springs have been paint detailed using a silver Sharpie.

65Mustang37.jpg

The chassis is completed and up on four wheels.

65Mustang38.jpg

More to come.....

Thank you Clay! It is coming along as I am hoping that it would. ;)

Well, I had to make a new starter relay since the original that I made was sacrificed to the carpet gremlins. It all started when I went to install the relay onto the engine bay side panel and the wires came off and then the relay went flying out of my tweezers. The new relay looks more realistic and when the glue dries, I'll add the wires to it. The good news is I have finished the interior.

65Mustang39.jpg

65Mustang40.jpg

The engine bay is nearly done.

65Mustang41.jpg

I must admit that all of the work I have being doing on this convertible is so I can try certain things before adding them to my Spenser For Hire '65 Mustang, especially the suspension mods. So far, so good! :lol:

More to come.....

I took a big step forward last night by joining the body, interior, and chassis together. The lowered ride height makes a big difference!

65Mustang42.jpg

A shot with the convertible roof on.

65Mustang43.jpg

I had a short piece of tubing on the bench and I slipped it into the valance panel hole and onto the exhaust system. This is looking good!

65Mustang44.jpg

More to come.....