Model Cars Magazine Forum

what was your first model

Back in the early 60's while living overseas my twin brother and I must've built a million of those Airfix 1/72nd WWI&II airplane kits. Monster movies were big back then but we couldn't access those Aurora Frankenstein/Dracula/Wolfman kits. It wasn't until we rode the big boat back to the states we built our first bona-fide car kit...an AMT '57 Ford 3 in 1...by the time we put down roots again in the Chicago/Palatine area the Hot Rod - Custom Car craze was in full swing...couldn't get enough of those Monogram Lil Coffin/Little T/Predicta and Revell Roth Rat Fink / Hawk Wierd-Oh kits. We entered a local hobby shop contest w/ a Little T kit that we mildly modified...shortened pick up bed, lime gold paint set off by the bright white interior & bucket seats & white walls. A clean build for a couple of nine year olds. We were shocked when we found out from friends at school the next week we had won Junior division...the trophy was a neat little gold fat fendered '34 Ford on a wood pedestal.Cool stuff for a 4th grader.

My first model was in the summer of 09 at the age of 37 and it was the Revell convertible Saleen. it was to be a replica of my 1/1,although I don't have a sn95 nor a Saleen,I have a new edge GT but it was only to please me.B)

I don't really remember my childhood so I'm unsure if I built models as a kid. It's doubtful though.

My first ever model was a Fujimi Enthusiast Model 911 Cabriolet. My mom's friend gave it to me as birthday present when I was 10 or 11; she probably thought it was just a toy and didn't realize how complicated those kits are. The only thing I managed to "build" was the oil can with the Porsche decal on.

My first completed model was a Tamiya Subaru Alcyone XT Turbo, brush painted with black Tamiya enamel. While cutting the hood vent out with a box cutter the (rather dull) blade slipped and I ended up cutting my thumb. I also tried cleaning up paint on the clear parts with my dad's paint thinner, which clouded up the whole windshield.

• 2 weeks later...

It is always great to answer this question, particularly since I am moving rapidly to the "Most Senior" status. I still have the original wood car that I built in 1949. This was my first custom car and among my very first of any kind. It turned out to be a bigger job that I assumed, and required a LOT more sanding sealer than I had ever used before. It started as a box of balsa blocks, some detail pieces and a picture of a 1949 Ford:

1949AceJ.jpg

It ended up as a custom predecessor to the 2-seat T-Bird (sorta) :) :

ModelI11.jpg

I have given the car an entire web page here.