Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW GUY: AE86 TRUENO BUILD

J.Wolfe

hey all.

Justin

19 and my 2nd year at Temple U. in Philly

Studying Architecture

Typical college kid that has WAY too much time taken up with school haha. Always been into cars and is my main hobby as I always work on my 95 Integra when back home on breaks from class. Decided to go out and buy my first model from hobby link japan and see if my artistic background and creativity, along with my style I have put into my own car will rub off. Took over a month to get to me but arrived right on time when winter break started. So hopefully most of my time home I will get a majority of the work done before spring semester starts.

Kit:

Aoshima 85 AE86 Trueno

also bought SSR Reverse mesh wheels with stretched tires.

Keeping this build clean and simple, with attention to detail. Adding my own personal touches here and there.

I'll update as I get decent progress on it. So far I started painting the exterior, interior, and under carriage, keeping the body white w/ flat black on the front and rear bumpers for a classic look. And a fully black interior. Just mocked up nothing glued to show the desired look so don't mind the body fitment. Hope you enjoy, its got a long ways to go...

my car as inspiration

5219595819_ae770b9fea_z.jpg

5286828656_86f19cc9b4_z.jpg

5302089612_c3788bf223_z.jpg

5301523749_f53ccedbf8_z.jpg

5302096418_c2f26d4105_z.jpg

I LIKE THE TRUENO I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING THIS KIT ILL WAIT TO SEE HOW YOUR COMES OUT AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS IM MAKING A COMEBACK SINCE I HAVENT BEEN HERE IN SUCH A LONG TIME AND NEVER FINISHED THE BUILD I STARTED ..ILL BE POSITING UP NEW PICS OF MY PROGRESS AS WELL ..IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK PPL HERE ARE REAL COOL

thanks for the kind words everyone, i also love ae86's a lot. I see this as my build that i wish i could do and afford in real life haha. and as for the stance it was just the wheels set under the chassis so the camber will not be as extreme.

here are a few updates

first: i dont like how the exhaust and a few other parts were molded in the body as it makes for an annoying time, and doesnt look as real as id want. what do you guys do as far as adding the orange to the pipes to make it look more real?

got to work on the under body, the weathering needs to be toned down some more to look a little more real for me. thinking of doing a thin flat black dust from a spray can that i hope brings it all together and not so "patchy" as well as the tranny. I added scrape marks on the fuel tank and other parts as if its bottomed out since it will be slammed. I also started the suspension components.

QUESTION: what glue do you guys use? i bought zap a gap as im familiar with it from my architecture models but it doesn't seem to work as i want for plastics.

5305568676_cd7583f7d1.jpg

5305568792_31af1c290e.jpg

also started painting the moldings with a brush. my hand is steady enough that i can manage but man it makes me cringe lol.

5305568742_415da93a21.jpg

front bumper

5305568816_f6bc3d347f.jpg

all i got to today. don't plan on rushing through this at all.

more updates to come!

Justin

Edited by J.Wolfe

thanks man, i really wanted to make this a rugged beat up drifter but it being my first model dont want to risk it haha and will just keep it clean. maybe the next one though! the black bumpers and black engine bay are nice classic touches. but im still looking to add a splash of personality somewhere. maybe the interior. right now its all black just for the base coat until i figure something out

Hello there friend! Gotta love ole'scoo yotas! cant really say much for the new models but...... back to topic at hand! Ive tried all kinds of glues and nothing comes close to epoxy! really good stuff not much clean up after wards as well! If the problem comes up where it lands somewhere ya dont want it to its pretty easy to get off as long as you remove it before actually curing without ill effect to the surface youre removing it from! All in all fella I look forward to more progress on this!

peace

Tito

Hi, Justin.

Ah...college sophomore. I remember those years well.

Nice-looking build so far.

To answer your question about glue, Zap-A-Gap has its places, for example, if you have a space between parts that won't close or fill properly, Zap-A-Gap comes in handy as it's fairly thick. I don't use superglue too much, except for some plated pieces or if I have to paint a part prior to assembly. Use caution with superglue (of which Zap-A-Gap is a variety) as it can fog parts.

For standard styrene gluing, I prefer Testors liquid and tube cement. For clear parts, use Testors clear parts cement, which is essentially white glue (e.g., Elmer's) with a little bit of cement in it for a more stable bond. Any good hobby shop will have that. Some people also use the clear parts cement for some chrome parts too, from what I've read, as well as photo-etch, as it dries clear.

Charlie Larkin

thanks for all the glue talk guys! i needed it badly, ill prob go out in the next day or two and restock something better

DoubleD: also the example of the under body was what i needed and gave me ideas. like i said i hit the body with a mist of flat black and it worked wonders for me. it added a nice textured surface as if it was built up with tar and it toned down the splotchy paint brush strokes and glossy appearence

forgot to mention, VERY nice Integra! nice to see someone else from Virginia too ;)

your Integra reminds me alot of a freinds car from about 8 years ago.

thanks a lot i spend more time on that thing then anything else ha, im a grease monkey that just tries and find things to do on it. its too low for any shop so ive almost had to learn how to work on it all around! where in VA are you?

LAone: your builds are soo awesome man, i also joined the site you recommended and i deff appreciate almost all the builds ive seen thus far. ill eventually make a thread in there, after i get a little more progress. for now im just soaking in the builds and techniques.

I finally got some decent progress updates on mine as i was busy with the real car and court.

under body weathering was improved, tranny was painted and weathered as well. also i love how pictures bring gout flaws in paint and whatnot that i dont see as well in person. helps when i go back to touch up things haha,not sure if thats a good or bad thing :rolleyes:

5329025784_8334d847d8_z.jpg

interior is taking shape as well. still needs all the small detail on the dash but its getting closer.

5329025952_603d769ef7_z.jpg

5329025860_654fe43787_z.jpg

interior progress

5329025708_019d2160cd_z.jpg

front bumper w/ plate added. needs small touch up under the one corner lense

5328416001_95e5ab2ab9_z.jpg

and lastly a shot of the wheels are i am just really happy with the decision :D

5325186626_345d74b911_z.jpg

interior is almost done, want to add a roll cage and needs a rear view mirror

5332292348_2ee7168617.jpg

5332292254_9fff1efd58.jpg

exterior i finished the rear end and added the glass.

5332292120_b2a9ffe144.jpg

5333885575_cdbc22ba27.jpg

5331906979_b28551f336.jpg

under body i finished up the weathering and added a custom made straight pipe exhaust. still needs the front suspension and motor. lastly i need some exterior details like mirrors and head lights and final touches...

5334502546_cbae233717.jpg

5334502326_078b158070.jpg