Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Post

Hi folks this my first post.

I am a Mopar guy but will ocasionally build others also.

I'm just getting started in the modeling hobby with my first build being a 70 Roadrunner.

I dont have a airbrush so I will be using spray can's and brush painting the really small stuff.

What color is best for exhaust systems and gas tanks?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being here with everyone.

Hi folks this my first post.

I am a Mopar guy but will ocasionally build others also.

I'm just getting started in the modeling hobby with my first build being a 70 Roadrunner.

I dont have a airbrush so I will be using spray can's and brush painting the really small stuff.

What color is best for exhaust systems and gas tanks?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being here with everyone.

Well most exuast systems contain more than 1 type of metal, but the majority of it is Aluminum, and Steel. I personally use Aluminum for the mufflers, and cats, and steel for the exhaust tubing. As for fuel tanks Being a Mopar Muscle guy myself, they had a habit of painting them a gold color, according to most Mopar sources.

Hope this Helps and Welcome to MCM

Your local hobby shop should carry the Testors Metallizer line in spray cans .They provide a realistic finish that drys in a matter of seconds . I would suggest the buffing formula , gently rub the painted piece with a soft piece of t shirt , it will give you a nice polished surface that looks authentic . I use the aluminum , steel , and gun metal colors on a regular basis . Great for exhaust systems , manifolds , valve covers , etc !

Donn Yost

I learned a trick. If you use Testor's aluminum brush paint(enamel), you can use a q-tip and rub hardly on the metal! It creates a more realistic appearance. :lol:

To clarify Andy-

Do you mean "rub hard," as in to use more pressure when buffing the paint?

-or-

Do you mean to "hardly rub," meaning use gentle pressure and touch while buffing?

I use Chrome Silver in the Model Master line for scripts and other little bits I lack the dexterity to foil all the time. If you dry brush and allow it to dry thoroughly (a couple days) and then VERY gently buff it with your finger, it looks pretty good.

For the metal parts, like exhaust, transmissions, etc., I'll go with Nick. I use the small bottles of Testors Aluminum and steel all the time, over gray primer. And it looks very, very good when it's done. Metalizers are a bit exotic for me price-wise and in terms of use, but they work incredibly well.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Well I didnt make it to my lhs this weekend to look at paints.

So it sounds like silver sharpie is the way to go for trim and door handles and stuff like that.

I'll will hold off on the BMF for now.

You might as well get into it now. Once you get the hang of it, you'll never go back to silver paint or sharpies to represent chrome trim. There's NO paint available that looks like chrome (except maybe Alclad, which is expensive, and takes some skill to get it to work correctly). And even Alclad doesn't really look like chrome, but more like polished aluminum.