Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1968 camaro z28 - Project yardsale

Jamez

I bought this kit at a yard sale a while ago., was missing the mirrors, steering linkage, rims and tires and had the trunk and doors cut out with outward opening hinges.

This was the first time I have ever dealt with opening doors, honestly I can't say I think it is worth the effort, but maybe that will change in time. I built new hinges so the doors opened inward as they should made the steering "pose-able" seeing as the linkage was missing from the kit anyway, lowered the stance a bit, stole some wheels and tires off of an old x-mod I had laying around, and ended up with the following...

Enjoy, and please, any and all feedback is welcome.

SHARE.jpg

SHARE6.jpg

SHARE2.jpg

SHARE3.jpg

SHARE4.jpg

Thanks to everyone ho offered up help and suggestions on this one, I got discouraged may times, and without you all, It would still be in pieces stached in the box.

Great color.I love the metallic in it. What color did you use? As much of a pain as they might have been, the opening doors really look good on this car. I do have to agree though...the tires just don't really go with the theme we're seeing with the engine sticking through the hood. Other than that little gibble, the car looks fantastic and you did a great job bringing wnother car back from the dead.

i think the wheels work, it's just that the back tires need to be a bit taller in profile. not sure if they will work on the Xmods wheels but the bigger Revell tuner tires or the ones from the Thunderbird snap kit could be an improvement.

really like the color as well <_<

I agree. The wheel/tire combo looks good on the front but they don't really fill the rear wheel wells enough and the stance looks a little low in the back. But overall that's a great looking build especially for just the second one!! I'm glad I don't still have my second build to show you!

Keep it up!!:(

I have to agree with the majority here so far: Nice build, beautiful color and finish, but the tires ~ especially the rears ~ just don't work on this body or style of build.

I too have found that the trouble and effort required to open and properly hinge doors is usually not worth the payback ... generally.

Again, nice build!

:huh:

• 8 months later...

Thanks everyone, for the feedback. and sorry I did not get back to those of you who had questions....

To 93z34.... The colour was Tamiya Orange TS-12 shot over a base of Tamiya Matt White TS-27 and cleared with Tamiya Pearl Clear TS-65. All from the rattle can, with zero polishing after application.

To MicroNiro..... Hinge construction can be found here : http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31793&hl=%2Bcorrect+%2Bdoor&fromsearch=1

This is the guide I used to build them.. many many thanks to romell

To everyone else..... Regarding tires.... I agree with every one of you...... I was very happy with the look of the wheels, but the profile of the tires is way to small. At the time of finishing this guy up, I had nothin else on hand. Personally I would like to see double the profile on the front and tripple on the rear..... but I would say I am still happy with the result.