Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 Mercedes Benz 170 "Berline"

TheCat

Here's a Heller kit that was a BIG challenge to build. Typical to Heller kits, this one was a pain to put together.

I decided to build this one as Rommel's Staff Car. It's not 100% accurate but it looks ok. I added the Field Marshal and Army Commander flags on the sides of the vehicle and also did the license plates.

Being a Heller kit, All-in-all the model came out ok. Just glad that I finished it. I knew if I stopped building it, that I won't finish it at all.

So, hope you enjoy the finished product.

Model Kit: Heller Kit # 725

Scale: 1:24

Mercedes_170_Berline-00-m.JPG

Mercedes_170_Berline-01-m.JPG

Mercedes_170_Berline-02-m.JPG

Mercedes_170_Berline-08-m.JPG

Mercedes_170_Berline-05-m.JPG

while you are correct that Rommel built his reputation in North Africa and his vehicles there were more than likely desert yellow or tan, he later commanded the defense of The Atlantic Wall and the soft skinned vehicles used by Wermacht staff there were more than likely field gray or black. they didn't believe the Allies were as great a threat to them IN Europe at first, and didn't bother camoflaging equipment until our Air Forces had superiority in the skies and everything moving in daylight was a target.....

Very nice and realistic build.

There actually was a special grey color user by Wehrmacht, called Wehrmacht-grau. It's a very dark gray color, almost black. I hade a spraycan mixed for a build last year, a 1938 VW typ 38 prototype.If You Google it You'll easily find the RAL-code for it.Please check this link for my VW:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33084&st=0&p=332219&hl=+vw%20+prototype&fromsearch=1&#entry332219

Edited by Chromecop

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm no expert on WWII this may be a dumb question... but I would assume that cars assigned to Rommel during the war would have had a desert tan paint job? Or is this a "formal" car not used in the field?

Harry - The one he used in the African Desert where colored desert tan. But this one is when he was back in Germany. A few months before he was ordered to kill himself.