Model Cars Magazine Forum

gatorboard

outlaw035

Check out art supply stores if you are looking for it locally if you are looking online for it I would use artsupply.com.

All gator board is is strong foam board. It's not worth the price when you can buy regular foam board for less than 5 bucks a sheet at any Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Gatorboard is great if you have something that is going to get beat around a lot or are using to to paint with or printing a photo on it but when you are cutting it in pieces to use on a Dio it is just really expensive and sometimes hard to work with.

Gatorboard is expensive! Very expensive! I asked about it at the local Michaels & Hobby Lobby (Ocala), but neither ever heard of it. Sounds like an online item.

I took some foamboard and sprayed that stone look paint on it. It took only a short time for the foamboard to buckle. Maybe it was just me or the paint I was using to try and get a speckled look, but be careful when painting foamboard.

I haven't tried it, but what about using the corregated plastic stuff that most of the signmaker people use? It's strong and light. I've been using it to make molds but maybe it could work for dio walls.

Edited by crazyjim

• 8 months later...

I used some Gatorfoam recently on a non-modeling art project. Neat stuff, but very expensive compared to foamcore. It claims to be wood infused & durable for outside use, but I can't vouch for that. I do know it's alot stiffer & stronger than foamcore though.

I love the stuff! It is very light, very strong, easy to use. I use epoxy or super glue when attaching parts. Cuts with a metal straightedge and utility knife. It is expensive. I got ten 21x36 sheets for $100.00, It's a little less if you have the natural finish, not white. I bought the white. Found it on the large auction site with a "make offer" deal. He took enough off the asking price to make the shipping free, and then some.

I highly recommend it if you can get a decent price.

I have to admit, I've never tried foam core, so I can't comment on it.

Edited by Repstock