Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM December Issue #155 Arrived Today

GOT #155 IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY, BEAT TO 4377, BENT AND TORN PAGES.

STILL WAITING FOR #154. HOPE IT'S NOT BEAT UP.

THANK YOU USPS.

Called on Monday and asked for resend of #154....Came in the mail this morning.

Great issue...just wish they all came so nice and crisp with no torn pages or foldovers.

Thank you Sherri & Bell Publishing

Once again, and as usual every month, my issue arrived in pristine, archival condition as if it just came off the press.

However, I have a content problem. The new issue is great overall, but it contains a very problematic article.

The scratchbuilding bit on machine-turned metal is hard to follow, leaves out key information, and shows a result that is far from precision (not to mention the weird conversion of a blower Bentley to left-hand drive). This is a subject that deserves some very professional attention, and this ain't it. Surely there's someone out there who can create this material by photo-etching at different scales; Fred Hultberger at Fotocut can work miracles with relief etching. It would be to MCM's credit to find a way to get it done. I do lots of 30s cars, and this is one of the biggest omissions in the hobby.

Edited by sjordan2

Once again, and as usual every month, my issue arrived in pristine, archival condition as if it just came off the press.

However, I have a content problem. The new issue is great overall, but it contains a very problematic article.

The scratchbuilding bit on machine-turned metal is hard to follow, leaves out key information, and shows a result that is far from precision (not to mention the weird conversion of a blower Bentley to left-hand drive). This is a subject that deserves some very professional attention, and this ain't it. Surely there's someone out there who can create this material by photo-etching at different scales; Fred Hultberger at Fotocut can work miracles with relief etching. It would be to MCM's credit to find a way to get it done. I do lots of 30s cars, and this is one of the biggest omissions in the hobby.

The Writer of the article may not have honed his skills enough to come out with a perfect result, but that doesn't mean the technique is flawed. It's up to us as builders to take it to the next level. I believe given the right amount of practice I could follow the instructions in that article and make a nice engine turned dash. I thank the author for showing us his idea.

Without a mill or some other way to space the swirls apart at consistent intervals, that's what you're going to get. Here's an experiment from a few years ago, using a small wooden dowel and valve lapping compound on my Sherline mill:

Mvc008f-vi.jpg

Edited by LDO