Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Corvair Corsa "Junkyard Refugee"

CorvairJim

I like to restore "Glue Bombs". That's the only way I can afford to have some old annual models that I've built myself in my collection. I found this one on eBay a few years ago, and did it ever look rough in the auction! I got it dirt cheap, and it's a good thing I did, because the pictures on eBay weren't lying - the thing was a mess! It was nearly all there, but the paint was awful and there were plenty of gobs of glue all over the thing. The glass was entirely wasted. Good thing I have plenty of the 1969 Corvair reissue from about 5 years ago to raid for parts! Anyhow, the first thought to go through my mind when I opened the box was that it looked like the scale model equivalent to that old rust heap that you see for sale on someone's front lawn every so often. LIGHT BULB MOMENT! I decided right away that's what this model would become, but I'd do it right. Among the details I've added or changed: The original Turbo engine is now a base 2-carb motor. The engine's air cleaner setup is in the car's back seat (sharing space with the rear air exhaust grille), and it's left-hand carburetor is sitting loose on it's mounting studs. The battery is long gone, but the battery tray probably couldn't hold one anyway because of the extensive rust-out. There's rust damage everywhere, some of which is patched bu pieces of aluminum riveted in place. One side of the front floor was repaired correctly by a past owner, but the guy who owns it now just laid a sheet of metal over the rusted-out floor on the other side and in the trunk. A headlight is busted out, and it's wires dangle from the empty bucket. All four taillight lenses have disappeared. The radio antenna broke off some time in the past, but apparently the rare factory optional AM/FM radio still works because there's a bent wire coat hanger taking it's place! The right side door and front trunk lid were replaced at one time with used parts. The wheels and tires are mis-matched front and rear, but all four original wheel covers are present and accounted for in the front passenger foot well. Look closely and you'll see that the driver's side back window has fallen off it's track and part way into the body. The driver's seat and the top of the back seat have both been patched with duct tape.

CorsaJunkyardRefugee1.jpg

CorsaJunkyardRefugee2.jpg

CorsaJunkyardRefugee3.jpg

CorsaJunkyardRefugee4.jpg

CorsaJunkyardRefugee5.jpg

[CorsaJunkyardRefugee6.jpg

CorsaJunkyardRefugee7.jpg

Edited by CorvairJim