Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tameo 1/43 Tyrrell P34/2 1977 British G.P.

simonr

This project I'm starting it's not interesting to me just only for the model itself, if not, for the different techniques most them new to me and for the Japanese websites I've been looking around for the last 8 months or so. I would like to give recognition to 1/43 Japanese Master Modelers Hiroshi Watanabe and Akihiro Kamimura, the ones that owns the site from I learned what I will apply in this build. Another thing is I have to see if I put it together in order to the April 28, 2011 deadline for the GSL XXIII Model Car Contest in Salt Lake City, Utah. This F1 has been one of the most viewed sports cars of all times, despite the fact it wasn't a successful car on the track(just one victory), but, its original design gain great fans around the world. This is a Tameo multimedia model that comes with almost everything to make a great model car, but, as always, one wants to add some flavor...This is the way I did...

The Car

Tyrrell-P34-Cosworth_3.jpg

The Model's Box

DSC_0617.jpg

This some stuff I will use in the road to complete this model, Finisher's Pure Blue, correct Fujiya Tires and Brass Block to correct leveling:

DSC_0648.jpg

What are inside...lots of tiny parts...

DSC_0629-1.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

The fun started doing a mayor clean up to this white metal parts.

DSC_0414-2.jpg

Now we have some parts glued and ready to paint:

DSC_0415-1.jpg

Some more...

DSC_0417.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

This diamond cutting wheel will be the main tool in order to cut the real hard stainless steel tubing. I did sort of a mold in the wood in order to get the correct measured length of tubing:

CSC_0534-1.jpg

Using these K&S .020 and .025 and Hobby Design tubing in the .4mm to 1mm range I started to work on the engine's valve cover. I drilled it and then made the sparks boots placing a .6 piece of tube inside a .9mm.

CSC_0503.jpg

Is it small enough?

CSC_0505.jpg

Finished part:

CSC_0515.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Now I move to the stacks trumpets(about 2mm high) and the injectors. Most of the parts in this section are less than 1mm.

CSC_0513.jpg

Here along our friend, the dime, to see how small are them:

DSC_0506.jpg

Finished..After a few hours..

CSC_0521.jpg

How it looks everything together so far:

CSC_0638.jpg

With the dime:

CSC_0643.jpg

I shaved the lack of detail engraved rear axle boots(cowling drive shaft) and substituted with a turned one from Tameo:

DSC_0495.jpg

CSC_0488-1.jpg

CSC_0475.jpg

Instead of use the photo etch part of the kit, I rework the rear suspension chassis with K&S rod and soldering:

CSC_0463.jpg

CSC_0471.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

I added the supports for the shocks:

CSC_0473.jpg

Here there are two things, I did this tubing support over the brake discs(yes I know, the calipers are in the wrong position, but, this is just a white glue mock up :mellow:) from rod and we can see something new I learned from these great Japanese modelers...soldering instead of putty. I was lucky enough to get a 20W soldering iron from Radio Shack. The hotter one I should use in order to not melt the white metal is 25W, so I have still 5W to play with. That I wish we could have this in 1/24 modeling because, it dries faster, more solid, aaaand doesn't shrink!...I will apply this later also on the body:

CSC_0619.jpg

CSC_0623.jpg

CSC_0631.jpg

This part that connects the shocks and the chassis was a complete headache that took me a lot of hours to done it right.

CSC_0649.jpg

These Metal forming Pliers Set in order to do tasks as to make the correct shape of the rear traction bar. The kit supplies a cooper bar, but, this stainless steel bar gives a better sensation of a real bended tube.

DSC_0620.jpg

The parts already in place:

CSC_0645.jpg

CSC_0647.jpg

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Edited by simonr

• 4 months later...

Well, after I completed the model and it took second place award int the Small Scale class at this year's GSL, the model wasn't finished correctly, because of the rush to finish it in time for that show in Salt Lake City and also I have to mention that the model was seriously damaged at judging time in the GSL(first time it happens to me,I know how carefull are these judges with the models, but, we know it can happen), I decided to take apart all the rear section that mostly is the engine and suspension ensemble and re-built it again. I'm planning to do this in a couple of weeks.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

now that is small, great work, any update on this?