Model Cars Magazine Forum

My latest - '74 Plymouth GTX/Road Runner

Bluzboy66

• 2 weeks later...
Fantastic paint job. What chassis are you using?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I was sooooo happy when they reissued this kit. A long time favorite.

The chassis is the regular reissue MPC chassis. I'm kinda going the box-build on this kit just to enjoy the feeling of actually 'finishing' a kit again. lol. I'll throw a bit of detailing in for good measure. I may build another one (I bought a lifetime supply!), and try using one of the other 'cokebottle' B-body Mopar chassis from that early 70's era. I need to do some research to see what'll be most accurate.

Here's an update.....

74RoadRunnerGTX017.jpg

74RoadRunnerGTX015.jpg

Mike

Great color!! Who makes it?

The silver basecoat is a spraybomb lacquer I found at an automotive store.......very nice heavy silver flake. The Candy Apple Red midcoat is Testors, and the topcoat is Testors Clear Gloss 1814. I love Candy paintjobs.....so much depth. Not every car looks good in Candy, but this Plymouth was begging for it!

Mike

Guest zebm1

I'm more than a little partial to tha old style Cragar 5 spoke Chrome mags in reversed wide rims..... I once toyed with tha idea of having some anodized once, but they couldn't do just tha centers and leave tha rims chrome w/o disassembling tha wheels. And since no-one at that time could guarantee they would be true and safe, I gave up on tha idea circa 1968. Something about stick welding through chrome or jig problems IIRC. :wink:

But yu could spray some candy red topcoat on tha centers, masking tha rims ala that Penske Vette they did in SA mag a coupla issues ago. 8)

zeb

I'm more than a little partial to tha old style Cragar 5 spoke Chrome mags in reversed wide rims..... I once toyed with tha idea of having some anodized once, but they couldn't do just tha centers and leave tha rims chrome w/o disassembling tha wheels. And since no-one at that time could guarantee they would be true and safe, I gave up on tha idea circa 1968. Something about stick welding through chrome or jig problems IIRC. :wink:

But yu could spray some candy red topcoat on tha centers, masking tha rims ala that Penske Vette they did in SA mag a coupla issues ago. 8)

zeb

Hmmmmm..........or maybe a gray smoke tint candy over the centers??...........I will search for a 1/24th scale Cragar set, and and use a healthy tire. That should give the appearance of a modern, larger diameter wheel, but keep the old musclecar flavor. Thanks for the tip. I am seriously considering it.

Mike