Model Cars Magazine Forum

Incompetence Kills

Last year, my ex contacted me about our daughter's upcoming wedding. I was apprehensive. I hadn't seen her in five years, and I was pleasantly surprised. She'd beaten her addiction to crack and was really putting her life back together. I saw that she had beaten it- her home had real possessions in it and she had a different outlook on life. Fast forward to February- she goes in to the hospital for a minor operation on her foot. She had a bad reaction to the anesthetic, so instead of keeping her there under observation, they loaded her up in a cab and sent her home. Her roommate said she had no clue where she was or what was going on. He got her inside to the couch, where she fell asleep and died (less than a month before her 44th). I see that rotten meat market outside my window, and sometimes I wish I had a rocket launcher. Makes a man wonder about the wisdom of changing your life.

My heart goes out to you; I'm reminded of Pete Seegar's song "Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is a Season)", adapted from the Book of Ecclesiastes. If there's to be any comfort and solace for you, it's that she had her life together before her untimely death. There's a lot of nobility and strength of character in that. I feel your pain, as it nearly happened to me; I had open heart surgery for a rare condition, constrictive pericarditis. I was doing very well for a couple of days, then tanked. My lower intestine ruptured, and peritonitis set in. I was not expected to survive after an emergency laparotomy. It likely was caused by an assisting doctor puncturing it during a paracentesis when a needle and drain are inserted to release the fluids I had built up. I now have an ostomy bag as a result. I am a lucky man, indeed; I have been given a second chance in life. I'm saddened your ex didn't have the same chance.

Last July, I lost a good friend to a drug overdose. She was bipolar, and struggled with severe depression. She seemed to be doing so much better; marathon talks and pleasant meals together seemed to be doing her a world of good. One night, an acquaintance of hers decided she needed to shoot up some drugs to feel better. She died in her chair with a needle sticking out of her arm. It was a combination of heroin and cocaine, and what was so painful to me was that she wasn't a drug user. I watched the EMT's try to revive her on the kitchen floor, to no avail. That is a sad and stupid way to go.

As I'm sure you know, anger is one of the phases of grief; I hope you get over that. I'll be thinking of you, and pray you'll find acceptance soon. You have my heartfelt condolences.

Harold....Sorry for the loss.

The Lord has blessed her and given her His reward for turning her life around.

The hospital however is the culprit...but they did get her in and out...STAT.

I was discharged recently with no ID or shoes, dressed in sweat pants and shirt

my wife found me in the front on a bench...same way.

I would find an atty that chases ambulances..it will give him something to do and maybe save a life

I am very sorry for you and your family's loss. That is very tragic and senseless. My heart goes out to you and your daughter.

I should think a lawsuit is in order. If successful, the proceeds could be a great benefit to your daughter and possible future grandchildren, education fund, etc.

Take care, man.

Sorry for your and your daughter's loss Harold. It just proves that all doctors and hospitals care about is the almighty dollar. Like others have mentioned,I think a hefty lawsuit is in order.

When I first went into the hospital for my back,my "doctor" came to my bed and told me that my insurance was almost tapped out and that they needed to release me. He asked me if there was any way that I could urinate because they couldn't release me until I could. I was on a morphine drip plus oxy codones and I can't remember what else. I couldn't even stand up,much less walk. I told him there was no way that I could stand to sit in a car for the hour drive home. His suggestion was to get someone with a pickup and a camper top to haul me home because he wasn't sure if I had enough insurance money left to pay for an ambulance. The temperature that day was in the 20's and this moron wanted me to ride in the back of a pickup for an hour with one busted disc,another bulged disc and a hernia! It's no wonder their malpractice insurance rates are so high.

Harold -

God Bless you and your daughter. I am truly sorry for your loss. I am also upset because your ex-wife didn't enjoy her sobriety until she lived a long life.

Your Ex-wife was wrongly discharged and irresponsibly treated in the mental (medical drug enduced)state she was in.

If legal action is the route you go - legal consultation is normally about $100 an hour. If you start down this road - don't hire your first consulting Attorney - do a few interviews. Go with the lawyer that you find most suitable to you. Retainer fees for good attorneys aren't cheap but be leary of attorneys that work with no retainer - they may want a large cut of the settlement or result of the suit.

I wish I would have had this kind of advice before my divorce. I'm very sorry if it comes accross harsh or out of place here - love and relationships are about feelings and passions - law-suits are business.

This is a very sad situation and I'm sorry for the loss.

Some advice for anybody, anytime you or a loved one is required to stay in the hospital: have a patient advocate. Your spouse, best friend, anyone who can ask questions and get answers. We learned first hand when my 93 year old grandfather almost died last year from a secondary infection following bowel surgery.

Again, sorry for the loss.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

A local hospital did the same thing to my father, about a week before our family vacation to New York City he began having a constant stomach ache. Being a man who doesn't like to complain much he just took some Pepto and dealt with it. This when on for the better part of a week until mom talked him into going to the hospital to see if something was causing this. He went to the ER and after several hours waiting and several more in the room, they came to the conclusion that.............they had no idea. So they sent him home and that was that, still hurting and all. Well we all left to start our vacation and as we were heading up he began to complain that the pain was getting worse and his leg was hurting. Again he dealt with it until we arrived in the city. After less than 1 hour actually at our destination he said enough's enough and went to the hospital up there. After waiting a very short time they rushed him in and quickly found he had a massive infection. It was attacking his kidneys and started to wrap around the tendons in his leg. They only let him out to go home if he agreed to sign a waiver saying he'd go back to the hospital in PA ASAP. Long story short (too late right?) my father almost died because of those "professionals". I know not all doctors are bad, I have a lot of respect for them but stuff like that just really irritates me.