Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing coupe

rick6343

This is AMT's Mercedes 300SL kit. It's built as an SCCA racer, circa the '50s or '60s. Mostly box stock. A roll bar was added to the interior and plenty of stuff was omitted: bumpers, muffler, wheel covers on stock steel wheels, etc. While researching, I noticed that I never saw a green one and I thought that color would look good. It's from Duplicolor, under Plasti-kote clear. Decals are from a couple of Fred Cady sheets. The time period meant exercising restraint with sponsors. It's a beautifully designed kit: Opening doors and trunk lid, full chassis detail, molded engine wiring and plumbing. And it all fits! Unfortunately, while under construction, I didn't have enough faith in the kit, so the doors and trunk are glued shut. Full chassis and suspension detail is provided, even if most of it is invisible thanks to the belly pan. The instructions in the 1970s release I built were frustratingly vague. For that reason, the front suspension was reassembled a couple of times and a few parts were never installed. My biggest flaw was not sanding enough/allowing too much paint to build up on the leading edge of the hood. It doesn't close all the way...

IMG_48692.jpg

IMG_48732.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Looks great! Some more pics would be cool :lol: I have this kit in my stash and hadn't attempted it because I figured, there's no way all those parts could possibly fit together...good to see that all that stuff DOES actually fit.

Very nice. I also have this in my stash. It is one of AMT's finest kits of the era. I can remember seeing it when it first came out in the '60s, drooling over it, and realizing that my modeling skills at the time, and my allowance, would not have it in my possession. In the mid 70's, it was re-issued, and I finally was able to build it.

I was able to get one some years back for "pocket change" and need to build it. Skip, they did include the Rudge knock-offs, but I can't remember if they were were correctly molded without lugnuts. I'm pretty sure they are, but looking at the Drastic Plastic instruction sheet, they show lugs, likely to save the graphic artist drawing new wheels. Mine is in storage, so can't access it to verify.

Very nice. I also have this in my stash. It is one of AMT's finest kits of the era. I can remember seeing it when it first came out in the '60s, drooling over it, and realizing that my modeling skills at the time, and my allowance, would not have it in my possession. In the mid 70's, it was re-issued, and I finally was able to build it.

I was able to get one some years back for "pocket change" and need to build it. Skip, they did include the Rudge knock-offs, but I can't remember if they were were correctly molded without lugnuts. I'm pretty sure they are, but looking at the Drastic Plastic instruction sheet, they show lugs, likely to save the graphic artist drawing new wheels. Mine is in storage, so can't access it to verify.

The Rudge Knockoffs in this kit are excellent, and you remember correctly there is no lug detail. If you ask me this would be up to todays standards in every way except a few fit issues that carefull test fitting and massaging will fix.

The Rudge Knockoffs in this kit are excellent, and you remember correctly there is no lug detail. If you ask me this would be up to todays standards in every way except a few fit issues that carefull test fitting and massaging will fix.

You're right Darin; this is an exceptional kit that would be right up there tooling wise with today's kits. Yes, a few fit issues that can be dealt with, but as you said, test fitting and careful assembly will fix that. I'm going to build mine stock with the standard wheels and hubcaps. If anyone needs or wants the Rudge wheels, I'd be happy to send them. A few years ago, I saw a 300SL roadster in dark grey with a red interior. It's a bit of a rare color for the 300SL, but looks good. I did have a picture saved on a now defunct computer of a Gullwing in that scheme. That's what I'm planning for it. I figure Tamiya German Grey with gloss will work.

Rick, I REALLY like your vintage racing version. I do timing and scoring with the SCCA at vintage racing events, and it's a passion of mine. Back in the late 90's, I saw a silver Gullwing run just like yours. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a vintage sports car being driven the way it was meant to. Trailer Queens need not apply!

You're right Darin; this is an exceptional kit that would be right up there tooling wise with today's kits. Yes, a few fit issues that can be dealt with, but as you said, test fitting and careful assembly will fix that. I'm going to build mine stock with the standard wheels and hubcaps. If anyone needs or wants the Rudge wheels, I'd be happy to send them. A few years ago, I saw a 300SL roadster in dark grey with a red interior. It's a bit of a rare color for the 300SL, but looks good. I did have a picture saved on a now defunct computer of a Gullwing in that scheme. That's what I'm planning for it. I figure Tamiya German Grey with gloss will work.

Rick, I REALLY like your vintage racing version. I do timing and scoring with the SCCA at vintage racing events, and it's a passion of mine. Back in the late 90's, I saw a silver Gullwing run just like yours. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a vintage sports car being driven the way it was meant to. Trailer Queens need not apply!

Jim, I have a 2.6 MB file on a Gullwing with this color scheme, with several pictures of exterior, interior, engine, etc. PM me your normal e-mail address and I'll send you the file.

pismo_classic_1954_1957_mercedes_300sl_gullwing_1.jpg

pismo_classic_1954_1957_mercedes_300sl_gullwing_2.jpg

pismo_classic_1954_1957_mercedes_300sl_gullwing_3.jpg

The only thing I can see wrong with this one is that the headliner is not authentic. Depending on the seat color, it would be either a light dove gray or a very light beige.

Edited by sjordan2