Model Cars Magazine Forum

Budapest Hungary Trabant Rendorseg Police Car

modeltruckmafia

This is a Trabant 601 Limousine with Budapest Hungarian Rendorseg Police decals I purchased on Ebay. The kit is built out of the box, I weathered the whole car with MIG powders to acheive the long used not taken care of look I was going for. On the interior i cut up the seats and added duct tape style repairs, added in a few magazines, news papers and other junk. The engine bay was also weathered to look like service has not been done in many many years. A broken window on the passanger side rear was also added.

trabant_budapest_rendorseg04.JPG

See all the pics here

Hello i come from Hungary and your model is looking good and i love trabant.

I think you have built this kit about the old item revell Trabant, but there is a new item with 136 parts in the box and it's really good!!! And in Hungary we write this: Rendőrség

And the calling number of Police is the 107.

i thought they were working on getting a uniform number in all of europe which is 112

any reason why hungary is not in on this ?

on a related note, i was looking at a special issue version of that kit commemorating the 25th (i think) aniversary of the fall of the berlin wall

it was a 4000 piecerun i think, going for 40 euros a pop

i considered buying it and hiding it untill the price went up but then i figured,who would ever buy a trabant :)

Edited by diymirage

i thought they were working on getting a uniform number in all of europe which is 112

any reason why hungary is not in on this ?

on a related note, i was looking at a special issue version of that kit commemorating the 25th (i think) aniversary of the fall of the berlin wall

it was a 4000 piecerun i think, going for 40 euros a pop

i considered buying it and hiding it untill the price went up but then i figured,who would ever buy a trabant :)

Hello! Thats right (112) but in Hungary you can call the police both of the telephone numbers since few years.

The Hungarian police used trabants a long time ago and in the 1990s they chaged all of these lovely cars for modern cars. In the 1990s the number of the police was 117!

The Berlin wall came down in 1989. November anthe revell kit were made for the 20th aniversary.

My ex wife is Hungarian born in Budapest. This is actually the new issue Revell Germany kit. This was originally bought to be built fro her but now that shes and EX I keep it.

Hello i come from Hungary and your model is looking good and i love trabant.

I think you have built this kit about the old item revell Trabant, but there is a new item with 136 parts in the box and it's really good!!! And in Hungary we write this: Rendőrség

I like it!

During those long wierd Mid-Western winters our cars wold get so dirty you couldn't see the door decals. Along comes a nice day, wash the car, and the temperature would drop.

Can you say frozen doors? :)

G

Oh, yeah. Standing in the road with a Bic lighter to heat up your key to melt the ice out of the tumblers of the door lock so you can get back in the car. I vaguely remember that ... :(

B)

i stopped by the model store again today (since i happen to be on this continent) and you guys were right, the wall fell in 1989 so revell made a 20th aniversary version of...you guessed it 1989 models

they come in a special box with special decals

i will be here till the end of april so if anyone wants one shoot me a PM and well see what we can do B)

Since this build has an engine in it I would assume it was built using the new Revell AG version rather then the original curbside version. I was also looking for the Berlin Wall Special to display on my Berlin Wall diorama (it contains an actual piece of the wall) but had no luck in finding one.

I've built two of the early curbside Trabants, one as a convertible. Would like to someday find another kit to built the East German police version which looks more like an open Jeep.

Yours is an interesting build. Were actual police cars allowed to get that run down?

rob