Model Cars Magazine Forum

72 'cuda rebuild

ChrisPflug

Starting with an almost-complete MPC annual with a few glue issues but swapping in the chassis and fenderwells from an AMT '70 Challenger for a little better detail without too much extra work. Thinking the can I have of Testors "Big Bad Blue" is close enough to Basin Street Blue and will try the flat black hood paint treatment and color keyed grille. A black vinyl top should help minimize the body work I'll need to do to fix the melted spots from the half tube of glue the original builder used to put in the glass. After seeing how nicely the white seats cleaned up I decided to go with a new interior from a snap kit- this one will have black interior and I'll save the white parts for a white interior build

blue.jpg?t=1305137999

009-3.jpg?t=1305080422

013-7.jpg?t=1305137098

As with the 1:1 the Challenger wheelbase is a little longer requiring a bit of work

017-2.jpg?t=1305137158

Did some preliminary cutting- hacked the fenderwells out of the Challenger body and took a section out of the chassis and gas tank. Some rummaging around showed the front section of the rear springs is the same length as the AMT Duster which also provides a decent 8-3/4 rear and shocks. Found an extra Monogram hood and trimmed a bit off the front

003-9.jpg?t=1305144167

002-5.jpg?t=1305144218

019.jpg?t=1305144282

007-3.jpg?t=1305144340

Oh boy.. that's not a restoration , more like a resurrection !

LMK , if you need any misc resin parts/components i.e. Bumpers (Non 35MPH Bumpers which I think that kit has )/ Clear headlights & if that body winds up being a lil' more than expected, we have the 70 cuda body , you could graft in the front / rear

Build On !

Don

Not much exciting going on- still doing bodywork- quite a bit of work grinding out globs of glue and glass and remains of the grille center on the inside, going to try to leave the taillights in and work around them. Also noticed someone had removed the "split" in the lower front opening- probably will leave it alone as it doesn't seem to stand out with a front license plate in place

009-6.jpg?t=1305573377

Not much exciting going on- still doing bodywork- quite a bit of work grinding out globs of glue and glass and remains of the grille center on the inside, going to try to leave the taillights in and work around them. Also noticed someone had removed the "split" in the lower front opening- probably will leave it alone as it doesn't seem to stand out with a front license plate in place

I would go after those glued in taillights with your Dremel if I were you. You will be glad you did. :D

I would go after those glued in taillights with your Dremel if I were you. You will be glad you did. :)

I have to agree on this one. Also if you want that exact color, You can get it at www.automotivetouchup.com , It's a base coat clear coat paint, I just bought the color ,And used it on my 72 Demon . The color has 2 different names, Basin Street Blue , For Plymouth, And Super Blue for the Dodge. Here is the color on my Demon I need to get finished. Just to show you as an example.superblue722.jpgsuperblue723.jpg These photos are in the direct sunlight, So that is the true color. This Cuda is going to look great in that color.